Sign in to follow this  
Iron Pounder

Tippmann Boss

I looked at an old Boss manual and it shows the secondary being wound the other direction from how I put it. I would guess the way I have it makes it much tighter on the top which would make sense that it could work with the bobbin being so tight. I'm going to change the top and take some tension out of the bottom and see how it goes. It seems odd they would have set it way too tight from the factory.

Mlapaglia, I will have a go at the way you do it once I get the tension set right. I can tell the thing is going to sew great once I get myself dialed in. Do you have a picture so I know when I have it right? You can email it to me if you don't want to post it.

Im out of town in Tucson for the week but Ill try to make something in a draw program for you.

Give me a day or 2

FYI my tensions routing are, Secondary is counter-clockwise and primary is clockwise as far as I remember.

Michael

I got some simple drawings done. Hope this helps. If not call me. 303 eight eight one 1045

If you can turn the leather in the throat this works.

post-22515-034146200 1343756170_thumb.jp

If you cant then this is the method I described in my other post. Hope you can understand them.

post-22515-019581000 1343756169_thumb.jp

Edited by mlapaglia

I got it now. Thank you for the drawings the first is how I do it when I can turn everything. I will try the way you do it when you can't turn and see if I have any luck. I had both tensioners going clockwise but the old manual show I needed to change the secondary to counter clockwise. We love Tucson!! I have a fair amount of family in Casa Grande and try to get down that way when we can. Have a great trip.

If the tension is working leave it but I believe you will have a better time with the one counter clockwise

I grew up in Tucson so I still like it as a place to visit.

I changed the secondary tensioner to ccw and decreased the bobbin tension a bit. So far I really like the way it stitches. I now need to try and get corners to look better. Any tips on making corners looks as good as a straight section?

I changed the secondary tensioner to ccw and decreased the bobbin tension a bit. So far I really like the way it stitches. I now need to try and get corners to look better. Any tips on making corners looks as good as a straight section?

Only one, Practice, Practice, Practice. I take it slow and turn the leather as the needle pulls the leather back. Makes it easier but it takes practice.

Aulus, how long have you had yours? What has been the hardest thing to get worked out?

Oh, this (my) answer comes a little late... :rolleyes2:. Ok, I have my Boss since End of May 2012. And I´m just in the learning courve. I´m sewing not too thick leathers, most 4 - 8 oz. After adjusting the bobbin tension and the top tensions it worket very well until jet. At the moment I´m taking the thread that was delivered with the Boss. And I´m looking for a Dealer here in Germany to by my threads.

So well, for the beginning an the end of the stich line i use two methods, once is to leave enough thread to stich back by hand or the second method is to do it like in the Tippmann Video.

greets

It does seem to workout better when I try and turn right when the needle starts to feed. I need to order some right and left feet so I can get closer on my stitch line. What is the smallest thread the Boss runs without any trouble? Some of the colors I want are 207 at the biggest. I have heard of several guys using 207 in my other machine, 111w155 but I would rather just keep that machine for 69 and 138.

As far as I remember it will do 138. I have 207 and 277, both work fine.