Sign in to follow this  
cowboy bowhunter

Pancake Holster For Revolver

Does anyone have a pancake holster pattern? I have a few people asking me to make them but i cant find a good pattern.

Look in the Pinned topics and there should be a thread that tells you how to make your own pattern. Aside from that, asking for a "revolver pattern" is kinda of like saying you need a set of tires for your car.. it's too ambiguous. While there may be some 'generic' patterns, it works best to have a pattern for each of the different types - 5 shot, 6 shot, exposed vs. hammerless, snubby, mid size barrel, long barrel...etc. Then, you need to develop patterns based on the two primary types of holster - clam shell or pancake....broken down into with or without carry strap.....and OWB vs IWB.

Look in the Pinned topics and there should be a thread that tells you how to make your own pattern. Aside from that, asking for a "revolver pattern" is kinda of like saying you need a set of tires for your car.. it's too ambiguous. While there may be some 'generic' patterns, it works best to have a pattern for each of the different types - 5 shot, 6 shot, exposed vs. hammerless, snubby, mid size barrel, long barrel...etc. Then, you need to develop patterns based on the two primary types of holster - clam shell or pancake....broken down into with or without carry strap.....and OWB vs IWB.

Thank you. Ill have to try making my own. I have been working on the 1911 holsters still and havent had time to try a revolver pattern this weekend.

P.S. revolvers using a pancake style need a little extra rooom to accommodate trigger guard because of the cylinder width - when ya squeeze them in, the opening can all of a sudden squeez down and become too small

I made a pancake for a .357 and left about 1/2 " all around using 7-8 oz and it was a tight fit but it streced in and worked well. The folowing S&W .500 using 9-10 oz was not so agreeable . The almost 2"width of the cylinder/frame and less strech made my estimated 1/2"-3/4" over size on the outlline too close.

I ended up making another and adding +3/4" to the trigger guard side - next time maybe a thick welt all around for heavy leather and a big gun ...

live and learn...

Standard formula is 1/2 the thickness of the widest part of the gun + the width of one layer of the leather. So a gun with a 2" cylinder would need a offset of about 1 1/4 ". If used this on a pre-27 S&W and it worked great.