funnygirl62221

Badge Holder On Lanyard Pattern

Hi All,

I can't seem to find a pattern for an ID holder. Am I calling it the wrong thing? I'm talking about the see through holder you put your student ID or work ID in and hang from your neck on a lanyard. Any suggestions would be appreciated. whatdoyouthink.gif

Thanks!

Ellen

I would look at a luggage tag pattern. Or just make your own.

Trace the ID card on paper or card stock twice. On the first one measure 1/4 inch around the whole thing. On the second one.... measure at least 1/4 inch around 3 sides (short, long, long) and add 1/2 inch at the final short side (for the clip hole) Use a small bottle cap or something similar to round the corners of your drawing. On the first piece, measure in and mark a line at least 1/4" from your original traced line to make the "window"

Cut a prototype from scrap leather, an old pair of jeans, or what ever you have. Then punch and sew it up. If the ID card fits well. Make one from your "good" leather.

Another way is to use a drawing program and draw one up. I think it is good to learn both ways to make patterns.

I would look at a luggage tag pattern. Or just make your own.

Trace the ID card on paper or card stock twice. On the first one measure 1/4 inch around the whole thing. On the second one.... measure at least 1/4 inch around 3 sides (short, long, long) and add 1/2 inch at the final short side (for the clip hole) Use a small bottle cap or something similar to round the corners of your drawing. On the first piece, measure in and mark a line at least 1/4" from your original traced line to make the "window"

Cut a prototype from scrap leather, an old pair of jeans, or what ever you have. Then punch and sew it up. If the ID card fits well. Make one from your "good" leather.

Another way is to use a drawing program and draw one up. I think it is good to learn both ways to make patterns.

Thank you Sylvia for your suggestions. I tried making my own pattern but it turned out kinda wonky. I will try and apply your infor and see if that helps :D

Thank you Sylvia for your suggestions. I tried making my own pattern but it turned out kinda wonky. I will try and apply your infor and see if that helps :D

Graph paper will help kill the wonkiness. You can google "free online graph paper PDF" and just print it from your computer.

In fact here is an online generator that allows you to choose the paper size and the size of the squares....

http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/plain/

Graph paper will help kill the wonkiness. You can google "free online graph paper PDF" and just print it from your computer.

In fact here is an online generator that allows you to choose the paper size and the size of the squares....

http://incompetech.c...aphpaper/plain/

haha brilliant! Isn't it funny how easy it is to overlook the simplest solutions? I never would have thought of graph paper. bike.gif

haha brilliant! Isn't it funny how easy it is to overlook the simplest solutions? I never would have thought of graph paper. bike.gif

LOL. Oh yeah. I offered graph paper to a kid a few years ago... he had NO idea what it was for. (they all use computers and graphing calculators in school now) So I sat and showed him how it can be used for different things from room design, to landscape design, to graphing data , to drawing something he might want to build..... Never thought to show him how to use it to draw a pattern. I don't think I did anyway. I think it is essential for pattern making... especially if you just don't want to flip on the computer and fight with a drawing program. lol

LOL. Oh yeah. I offered graph paper to a kid a few years ago... he had NO idea what it was for. (they all use computers and graphing calculators in school now) So I sat and showed him how it can be used for different things from room design, to landscape design, to graphing data , to drawing something he might want to build..... Never thought to show him how to use it to draw a pattern. I don't think I did anyway. I think it is essential for pattern making... especially if you just don't want to flip on the computer and fight with a drawing program. lol

jeeeez I can't believe I didn't think of graph paper. I use an L ruler and never can get my shapes truly square. I end up eye balling it a lot of the time. hehe I don't even bother with software programs to make patterns...use it only for designs.

Got any cool pattern material ideas? I use file folders. Lighten.gif

jeeeez I can't believe I didn't think of graph paper. I use an L ruler and never can get my shapes truly square. I end up eye balling it a lot of the time. hehe I don't even bother with software programs to make patterns...use it only for designs. Got any cool pattern material ideas? I use file folders.

:D

File folders are great for Temp leather pattern, Those heavy plastic folders work ok too. Luan (that really really thin wood) is ok for one that's more sturdy and you can sand it to improve curves and whatnot. I've made some from aluminum flashing I have sitting around but cutting with tin snips can be unwieldy and the edges can be sharp.

For transferring designs, I like those heavy sheet protectors, which can be traced over and over and are clear so you can have precise placement.

I'm about to go buy a few newspaper roll ends for sewing patterns for fabric and to use to cover my table for when I dye.