Sign in to follow this  
TXJhawk

Boss Help

I recently purchased a boss and have been working with I for a week or so. My main frustration is when I double back to start and stop my stitch line. When I do this I am it getting a big mess on the back side and it loos terrible. I am sure it's a matter of havig the proper tension but the stitches look good once I get going. Any tips on how to improve the begining and ending would be greatly appreciated.

I got that too when I had a Boss - I found it best to rotate the piece 180 degrees and stitch a few stitches, then rotate it back around and stitch the piece. When I got to the end, I would either overstitch my previous start point (in which case, I wouldn't do what i just said - I'd just start at the beginning and go all the way around then overstitch the start point by 4 or 5 stitches), or rotate the piece 180 and overstitch 4-5 stitches.

That probably made ZERO sense. Imagine two scenarios....

If I sew a straight line where the two ends do not touch one another (like they would if you sew a circle), I'd make a mark (point A) that is equal to 4-5 stitches away from my start point (point B). Then, starting a point A, sew towards point B, then rotate the piece 180 and sew to the end (point C), then rotate back around and sew a 4-5 stitches and end (point D).

If I sew a circle with the two ends touching, I'll simply start sewing at the start point, then go all the way around and end by stitching over my start point 4-5 stitches.

Bottom line - I would never sew backwards with the Boss if I could avoid it. I have a Cobra Class 4 now, but I still do the exact same thing I just mentioned as a general rule. The stitches just look better that way.

I do it the lazy way - I hand sew the start and stop points, using a saddle stitch (two needle), and 2.5 or 3 stitches....depending on whether the thread need to end up on the back.