Turtlepaint

saddle for short legged female rider

Dear saddle makers, I am new in this formum, do myself some leatherbraiding. Face the problem, to get a saddle that fits me. Maybe it sounds very stupid to you! I have short legs, 169cm tall, about 58kg. Look for a slik fork saddle, made for a female, flat seat (15.5) and I need to be as close as possible to the horse with my legs. The problem is the style of the rigging and how the stirup leathers are made. This latigo wrapping around is often very long, is bulky and is to close to the bleving buckles and pushes all away. What do I have to consider, that it is not so bulky. A lokal saddlemaker made a saddle for a friend who has the same problem. It is a full double 7/8 rigging and the stirupleathers and the fenders are so bulky and I and is ways away from the horse. This saddle is not rideable for me! Can you tell me what to order or who could make me a saddle considering this needs. The horse is a paint mare. Further details about her whehn we get in contact. I would very much appreciate the help from you professionals. To give you an idea what style R2APEDRINIOAKAB.jpgI would like see the picture

Kind regards

Bea

post-7077-1217404573_thumb.jpg

Hi Bea, Welcome to the forum.

I sometimes take my horse with his slick fork western saddle to shows and allow young people to have a ride on him, they don't see many western saddles in England. I also have the same problem, they have short legs and it is very difficult to adjust western stirrups quickly and short enough. My solution is to take English stirrup leathers/stirrups and hang them over the horn. Maybe you could remove the western ones and replace with English using the original slots on the tree and not use fenders.

Hi Bea, Welcome to the forum.

I sometimes take my horse with his slick fork western saddle to shows and allow young people to have a ride on him, they don't see many western saddles in England. I also have the same problem, they have short legs and it is very difficult to adjust western stirrups quickly and short enough. My solution is to take English stirrup leathers/stirrups and hang them over the horn. Maybe you could remove the western ones and replace with English using the original slots on the tree and not use fenders.

Hi Jan, thanks for info, but I guess we were not talking about the same. I look for a solution when making a new saddle, not an adapation. In addition I ride my 2 paints daily and as well at the cow. Thanks a lot for your input, Bea

Edited by Turtlepaint

I build saddles for short persons quite regularly .I usually suggest an inskirt rigging . the fenders are cut to the needed . length with buckle set short to ensure that it will be below the rigging. The rigging is usually set as high as possible. I also suggest 1 /2 stirrup leathers. Also using light weight leather helps .a picture link

I would also suggest an inskirt rigging. Custom saddles today should be made to FIT you and your needs. The inskirt rigging is great for getting you close without the bulk. Again, just like Andy said. The half stirrup leather with also reduce bulk. One other thing I can suggest is, avoid tying a knot on the latigo, use the tounge (spelling?) on the cinch only.

Here's a picture of something I might first suggest. It may work the best, besides it's plenty strong for ranch work.

S8001182.JPG

post-5571-1217431466_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob

I make a lot of saddles for ladies who work cattle and ride long distances. Comfortable, narrow seats, good stirrup freedom and flexibility, correct horse fit are among the most important requirements. Also, light weight and relief for painless knees and ankles. At 5'7" you are not that short; how long is your inseam? What are your waist and hip measurements? You want a slick fork, how high cantle? At 127 lbs, a 15 1/2" seat will give you quite a bit of room for movement, especially with a flatter seat and 3 1/2" - 4" cantle. If you want a narrower seat, you need to add a bit more rise to the front of the seat. An in-skirt rigging will be the closest to your horse, as well as single stirrup leathers. The wrap on the fender tail does not need to be as long as what you have seen and can be made much shorter. You can also eliminate the buckle entirely and adjust the length at the top of the fender with either lace or a quick change buckle.

I can make you a saddle. I would need specific information detailing what you want in a saddle as well as info profiling your horses.

Keith

WDC_saddle.jpg Sheri_Rolf_2.jpg

IsonSadlle__Large_.jpg

post-5801-1217437539_thumb.jpg

post-5801-1217437580_thumb.jpg

post-5801-1217437733_thumb.jpg

Just finished sewing a cantle binding on a ladies saddle.The main thing is get a good seat.Every one has covered the rest .I think a Skirt Rig is fine,But a plate or ring put in right should still be just as narrow.2.5" leathers would help with the bulk.

Steve

I would also suggest an inskirt rigging. Custom saddles today should be made to FIT you and your needs. The inskirt rigging is great for getting you close without the bulk. Again, just like Andy said. The half stirrup leather with also reduce bulk. One other thing I can suggest is, avoid tying a knot on the latigo, use the tounge (spelling?) on the cinch only.

Here's a picture of something I might first suggest. It may work the best, besides it's plenty strong for ranch work.

Dear Bob, thank you a lot for the info and the picture. Now I get an idea, how you mean it and what is different from the saddle I referred to. I appreciate your information, thanks a lot. Kind regards, Bea

I make a lot of saddles for ladies who work cattle and ride long distances. Comfortable, narrow seats, good stirrup freedom and flexibility, correct horse fit are among the most important requirements. Also, light weight and relief for painless knees and ankles. At 5'7" you are not that short; how long is your inseam? What are your waist and hip measurements? You want a slick fork, how high cantle? At 127 lbs, a 15 1/2" seat will give you quite a bit of room for movement, especially with a flatter seat and 3 1/2" - 4" cantle. If you want a narrower seat, you need to add a bit more rise to the front of the seat. An in-skirt rigging will be the closest to your horse, as well as single stirrup leathers. The wrap on the fender tail does not need to be as long as what you have seen and can be made much shorter. You can also eliminate the buckle entirely and adjust the length at the top of the fender with either lace or a quick change buckle.

I can make you a saddle. I would need specific information detailing what you want in a saddle as well as info profiling your horses.

Keith

WDC_saddle.jpg Sheri_Rolf_2.jpg

IsonSadlle__Large_.jpg

Dear Keith, thanks a lot, more comments in my mail I send you. Kind regards, Bea

Just finished sewing a cantle binding on a ladies saddle.The main thing is get a good seat.Every one has covered the rest .I think a Skirt Rig is fine,But a plate or ring put in right should still be just as narrow.2.5" leathers would help with the bulk.

Steve

Dear Steve, thank you for your answer. Do you have a webpage? Kind regards, Bea

Edited by Turtlepaint