Sign in to follow this  
ksdaddy

Need Help Identifying Old Saddle

I bought this at a yard sale and I'm hoping someone can give me an idea as to when it might have been made. I couldn't find a maker's stamp on it anywhere. It's rough!

2ikxhe1.jpg

29z67lu.jpg

Swell forlk, high cantel, full seat, eight button, stirrup leathers over fenders, would guess between 1915-1930?

Is that not a makers mark at the bottom of the fender ?? Maybe it is but not readable??? I wish those old saddles could talk !!!--------------Bill

I have my great-grandpa's saddle and we know he got it second hand in the early 30's. It has the same border stamp pattern as yours but a lot of shops used it too. His came from Duhamels is Rapid City and they called that pattern an acorn pattern .Most places called it a shell border and was popular at the time - easy to do and kind of decorative with only a few stamps and a narrow embossing wheel to border it. Mine is marked in the cantle dish. I know this is a longshot but is there a number stamped on the latigo hanger? Duhamels marked the model number below the slot on the latigo hanger. I am just thankful that when great-grandpa broke the carrier slot out he baling wired the one side back. The #106 is on my carrier.

How are the stirrup leathers adjusted on yours? It looks like some variation of a Conway buckle? Mine was orginially laced but somewhere along the line somebody put some Al-Rays on it. My uncle thinks that was done in the 50s. I took them off when I restored it and laced them.

Thanks for the info. Sad to say, I have no clue about saddles. I've looked everywhere for a readily identified mark, stamp, etc and have found nothing. I'll dig a little deeper.