Sign in to follow this  
Woodyrock

Harness Horse

Here is the harness horse I built a couple of years back. I would really like to find some photographs of a good saddlemakers horse, so I can stitch up larger projerts.

Woody

Harnessstitchhorse003.jpg

Harnessstitchhorse008.jpg

Here are some pictures of mine. It is an oldie.

post-29-048663000 1345785003_thumb.jpg

post-29-075718000 1345785010_thumb.jpg

post-29-011532200 1345785017_thumb.jpg

post-29-019691200 1345785023_thumb.jpg

post-29-009973100 1345785029_thumb.jpg

post-29-020409900 1345785049_thumb.jpg

Bruce:

Many thanks! This is exactly the horse I have been looking for, I can make one for myself from your photographs. It is easy to find harness horses, but a saddlemakers horse is a whole different story.

Woody

OK, I'm looking at the 2 different stitching horses and other than the location and slant of the jaws, and the rather interesting, Rube Goldberg tension mechanism of Bruce's horse, it seems to me that you could stitch just about as well on either one, (which isn't very fast or painless), regardless of what you were stitching.

Maybe it's the fact that I hand stitch as little as possible, in fact I avoid it like the asian flu, but harness vs. saddlery..... what's the difference? It's not like any horse is strong enough to clamp a saddle to hand stitch the cantle or horn is it? And who besides a total masochists or off-the-grid survivalist would hand stitch skirts? .... or entire harnesses for that matter?

OK, I'm looking at the 2 different stitching horses and other than the location and slant of the jaws, and the rather interesting, Rube Goldberg tension mechanism of Bruce's horse, it seems to me that you could stitch just about as well on either one, (which isn't very fast or painless), regardless of what you were stitching.

Maybe it's the fact that I hand stitch as little as possible, in fact I avoid it like the asian flu, but harness vs. saddlery..... what's the difference? It's not like any horse is strong enough to clamp a saddle to hand stitch the cantle or horn is it? And who besides a total masochists or off-the-grid survivalist would hand stitch skirts? .... or entire harnesses for that matter?

The first one, harness horse, the useable depth of the jaws is about 8", which is perfect for mostly straps. The saddlers horse has a useable jaw depth of 24", perfect for sewing saddle skirts.

Edited by tnawrot2

The first one, harness horse, the useable depth of the jaws is about 8", which is perfect for mostly straps. The saddlers horse has a useable jaw depth of 24", perfect for sewing saddle skirts.

Well, I'll tell ya what's perfect for sewing skirts.... a good saddle stitching machine. Nothing like zipping around a set of skirts in a fraction of the time it takes to sew about 12 inches by hand, which happens to be about the same length of time it would take me to start drinking heavily when I was trying to stitch skirts by hand.

Even a Boss stitcher is a vast improvment. (btw, I just happen to have one for sale).

Well, I'll tell ya what's perfect for sewing skirts.... a good saddle stitching machine. Nothing like zipping around a set of skirts in a fraction of the time it takes to sew about 12 inches by hand, which happens to be about the same length of time it would take me to start drinking heavily when I was trying to stitch skirts by hand.

Even a Boss stitcher is a vast improvment. (btw, I just happen to have one for sale).

:rofl: :rofl:

I have sewn two sets of skirts by hand. That is just snough to appreciate a machine. I bought my Boss one Monday morning after sewing up about 10 truckers wallets with zippered pockets on Sunday. It was a struggle to raise my arm to dial the phone to order it. The Boss was the coolest thing ever at that point. I do like my saddler's stitching horse even though I don't handsew much anymore either. It is in the museum display right now but normally sits in my living room in front of the book case. The background and history is pretty cool. The owner (Charles Collins) had shops in Arizona from 1914 through 1956. He retired at age 77 and died in 1962. There are some pretty cool stories about him on the internet and some his grandson told me.

here is a photo of a stiching horse that should hold some heavy leather. the photo came from Ray Hatley in the U K>

post-1906-071106700 1345916794_thumb.jpg

Hello brother luke , Is Ray family ? If so U should visit him & then come over & stay at my place for a few days ? It looks like your stitching pony would catching the thread on the mechanism all the time

quote name='Luke Hatley' timestamp='1345916806' post='261741']

here is a photo of a stiching horse that should hold some heavy leather. the photo came from Ray Hatley in the U K>

post-1906-071106700 1345916794_thumb.jpg