Sign in to follow this  
CustomDoug

Combined Top And Needle Feed ?

I'm looking at a machine that is described as having a "combined top and needle feed" mechanism for feeding the material. What is that exactly? Seems pretty obvious that there are no feed dogs on the bottom but I thought the needle feed was considered "top feed".. this machine's description makes it clear that it's something else. So, does the foot move in a way that advances the material separate from the needle? If so, how? Also.. would a machine like this probably use a grooved foot and therefor mark the top of leathers easily (I'd mostly use it for thin chrome tan leather, wool and canvas). Thanks in advance.

It sounds a lot like unison feed without the feed dogs....the presser foot moves with the needle. Just needle feed is also available, as in the tippmann boss. On that type of machine, often referred to as a jump foot, the needle enters the leather and at the same time the foot lifts slightly to allow the needle to move the leather rearward. Then, at the back of the stroke, the foot sets down as the needle retracts. At the top of the return stroke, the foot both lifts AND 'jumps' forward to the next position. Singer had a similar feed, IIRC. Check out Wizcrafts' post about leather sewing machines in the sewing machine section; he describes several of the feed systems.