Tracym

Thicker Braid - But With Beads

I'm making a kangaroo lead for a friend - she needs a thicker lead, due to issues with her hand. Since I bevel, my four strand leads are quite thin, so I'm happy to make her a 6 strand. But... she wants beads on it, of course. I am trying to figure out what the best way to do this would be, as I don't think the beads will fit over a 6 strand braid - they have a 4.5mm to 5mm hole. The 6 strand would probably be thicker than that, correct?. I do use a nylon core. So I'm considering....

1. Do a terminal knot (cover with my rein knot), and don't braid under the beads? This worries me, as I would think it would have less strength and might stretch more.

2. Braid 6 strands, go to 4 strand under the beads, and splice back in to 6 strands somehow? Cover the transition with my rein knot? Is this too complicated, and would it work well?

3. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

Buy a bead reamer to ream the bead holes larger to fit the 6 strand braid. Even if you were to transition from 6 to 4 and back to 6 again, the areas are to short in length to take that much time to make the transitions, or buy bigger hole beads. This would be the only way to do this without compromising the leashes integrity.

Just my two pennies worth. LOL...

B...

Thank you for the reply.

Many of these beads are Murano glass with silver cores though - I'm not sure those could be enlarged? The others are metal, and/or rings of crystals. I'm not familiar with a bead reamer though - would it work? Bigger hole beads, well, I don't think that's going to be an option here - I wish.

I wasn't thinking of doing a lovely transition honestly, just ending 2 strands more abruptly - but glueing the ends and covering that spot with with a knot. Then the beads on the 4 strand, and adding two back (with glue and a knot). Of course, I don't know that this would work, it's just a theory.

Well here's a show me video from youtube on the bead reamer. This tools can be used on just about any bead hole and just about any material used in bead making.

http://youtu.be/qJrIwEdzH-ohttp://youtu.be/qJrIwEdzH-o

There are many places online that have them for sale. Just do a google " bead reamer " and it will come up with a bunch of listings.

But of course in the end you're the artist and this is your project and you'll make the final decision as to how to proceed.

B...

Basic bead reamer:

http://www.riogrande...ps/111020?pos=1

http://www.firemount...sp?pn=H203263TL

They make electric and battery operated reamers as well, and dremel reamer tips, but if you're working with glass, you need to go at a slow speed with those and it helps to keep the cutting area of the whole bead immersed in water (running cool water is best). If too much heat builds up, the glass will fracture from thermal shock, so the water keeps the bead cool. I'd suggest using water if using a motor-driven reamer on the silver-cored beads too as the metal could potentially transfer heat the the glass portions. If using a hand powered reamer, heat buildup is unlikely because the strokes are slower and the heat doesn't build.

For the murano beads, and possibly the ring beads, you might be able to enlarge the hole slightly by thinning the metal core from the inside. But, it will depend on the thickness of the metal and how much you'd need to enlarge the hole balanced against the need to maintain the integrity of the bead.

(whoops, looks like KnotHead beat me to it)

Edited by WinterBear

Thanks so much, I did google bead reamers, but will have a look at your links. With the muranos, perhaps I'd have to remove the core, enlarge the hole in the glass, then put the core back and stretch it out? Not sure. Hmmm definitely an extra project. I do have a good dremel, but somehow I think perhaps doing it by hand would be safer first.

Not sure I've reached 'artist' status yet, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks for the help.

On my 6 and 8 strand leads, I will generally do a terminal knot (normally only using 4 of the strands) and NOT braid under the beads. Some gemstone beads have large enough holes which can accommodate the braided lace, but most of the Pandora style beads do not. In my opinion, you are not going to be able to enlarge the holes without compromising the bead (and if the bead breaks on the lead later, you don't have many options besides a braided button). I do not have a strength issue with my leads doing it this way, but will get some slight stretching if I'm not careful. I get the beads as tight as possible when I'm braiding the lead and I stretch the lace really good prior to braiding the leash.

Collars are a different story, as there is more pressure on the leather. The lace can break at the terminal knot on a collar (especially a slip collar on a larger dog), so I will only use beads that are large enough to slide over the finished braid. I then hold the beads in place with ring knots.

Also, if the glass beads you are using have cores, you can usually pop the cores out and get a little bit more size on the holes. You can run a straight edge razor blade all the way around the lip of the core and it should pop out pretty easily.

Thanks so much Shannon, that is very helpful.

Hey I just had an idea that would be kind of different. Go down to four inside the bead and four over it, then back to eight. :)

That is an interesting idea. Happily, I got lucky, and (just barely) managed to wedge the beads on the lead. Since I beveled it, and rolled it a lot, I was lucky enough that the chosen bead had large enough holes, only did a little reaming on one type. Thanks everyone for the help.