silverback

Marshall Skiver

Hi ,i have just got an old Marshall #2 bell knife skiver.Problem is the belts are clagged,they are the rubber type and have all perished and broken. I need to know how to thread the serpentine belt which controls the sharpening knife etc.Does anybody have an instruction manual or could post a diagram on how to rethread the belts.All info on this machine would be appreciated.Thanks

Peter

Never heard of that brand. Please take some good close up photos of the affected pulleys and whatever is left of the original belts. We will try to Grok out a solution for you.

Found Photo here. http://media.photobu...IMG3371.jpg?o=1 It looks like every other bottom feeding skiver.

Thanks Tom. That skiver looks identical to the United Shoe Machinery Puma skiver I had. It used a 5/16" diameter round leather belt to couple the main shaft pulley to the stone drive pulley. The leather was cut to size and used a steel C clip to joint the ends. These leather belts are sold by the foot by almost all industrial sewing machi9ne dealers. Ask the dealer for a heavy duty steel clamp. Wrap the belt around the pulleys and mark where to cut it off. Punch small holes in the ends, about 5 mm in and clamp them together. Bend the ends of the clamp into the leather belting.

Hi Wiz /Tom

Yes that is the one!thanks for replies by the way.i tried last night to load some photos but couldnt do it,glitch somewhere ,working on it.My problem is working out the correct way to route the belt around the pulleys.in my excitement to try the machine i did not note which way the belts went around the rollers.Ican see from the shine which pulley was used but that bit where they take the 90 degree bend is throwing me,i know it will seem simple once its pointed out but at the moment i am having one of those "senior moments"and things just dont seem right.Would all those old machines be belted up similar ,fortuna etc.thanks again guys.post-27125-084691300 1346193893_thumb.jpjust got this one to load but it may be big

Here is a page from the parts catalog for the COBRA NP4 skiver. I think you want to replace the belt #37. I hope this helps.

Skiver.pdf

Thanks gentlemen,its now worked out.for some reason i kept thinking it was one belt that controlled it all, the the sharpener and knife.After seeing Toms diagram there was the eureka moment.I shall now proceed to slap myself severely about the head and body:thumbsup:

Thanks gentlemen,its now worked out.for some reason i kept thinking it was one belt that controlled it all, the the sharpener and knife.After seeing Toms diagram there was the eureka moment.I shall now proceed to slap myself severely about the head and body:thumbsup:

Another question is the feed wheel i have on the skiver is i suppose you would call it milled and i have another spare which is porous stone.could anyone tell me what wheel is used for what.thanks again

Stone wheel for crome tan leather, and thin upholstry type of leather. Milled steel wheel for veg tan and thick leather.

Trox

And Thank you Cobra Tom for the motor mod, received it two day ago and it now works great.

Trox

Stone wheel for crome tan leather, and thin upholstry type of leather. Milled steel wheel for veg tan and thick leather.

Trox

And Thank you Cobra Tom for the motor mod, received it two day ago and it now works great.

Trox

Thanks Trox