Noah

Leather thickness gauge

I would like to find a used one that is accurate for a good price. Thankyou.

Edited by Noah

I went looking, and I didn't find the one everyone uses...hmmm

But I did find this one, that looked pretty good, and reasonable price:

http://www.axehandle.net/gpage.html

Noah,

I use the one that Leather Factory sells or used to sell. I see Weavers have it in their catalog for $26.60. It doesn't have a lot of reach, good for strap work. Handy by the splitters and skiver.

Thanks guys, I'll check.

I watched ebay until I was able to get one at a good price. Mine is like the one that Bruce mentioned that Weaver's sells. It's good enough for what I use it for. Like Bruce says it doesn't have much reach but I'm not measuring the middle of a hide.

ArtS

I went looking, and I didn't find the one everyone uses...hmmm

But I did find this one, that looked pretty good, and reasonable price:

http://www.axehandle.net/gpage.html

The problem with this is that you need to convert it to ounces (i.e, 64ths= 1 ounce), although it does have the advantage of going deeper into the hide.

I got mine through tandy & it's just fine for what I need (quick ounce measurement...) They're not too common as people don't want to spend $40+ on this item. Google around & you may find some sites that have this at a good price. Others have gotten digital stuff at harbor freight, but, again, you've gotta convert ... I don't want to screw around & do the extra math, so it's worth what I paid...

Guitar makers catalogs, like Stewart McDonald and also Grizzly Machine sells lots of that type of stuff, used to gauge top thickness, might be too pricey though.

Thankyou for all the ideas. I may get the one at weavers as I'm going down there soon for some more leather. If anyone knows anything about the econ. one there being bad please let me know. That's all I need, for strap material, etc.