Sign in to follow this  
renegadelizard

Satchel Holster

Hey all,

I have a customer who want a holster that really isnt a holster but rather a satchel that will hold a gun, mags and flashlight...i think i figured out how to do the satchel, the thing im not having much luck with is that he wants it to be able to lock...ive loked through ohio travel bags catalog and although they have several locks, i cant really wrap my head around the lock part...anyone got any pics or drawings even of how some of these locks work? i really want to stay away from the whole briefcase/combo lock...any alternatives?

Thanks,

Don

"Lock" - as in has a mechanical device to prevent it from accidentally opening?

or

"Lock" - as in there's a mechanical lock that prevents unauthorized access?

The first is easy enough to do, but the second is going to require some specific hardware. I think a zippered access would be the easiest to secure. Anything else will require multiple locks due to the flexible nature of leather. Of course, it'd never REALLY be secure because a pocket knife can cut the side out of it.

If he needs a secure part of the bag, you could check into some small gun cases. There are some designed for keeping a pistol in a car that are no larger than a hard back book. Maybe incorporate one of those into the bag?

"Lock" - as in has a mechanical device to prevent it from accidentally opening?

or

"Lock" - as in there's a mechanical lock that prevents unauthorized access?

The first is easy enough to do, but the second is going to require some specific hardware. I think a zippered access would be the easiest to secure. Anything else will require multiple locks due to the flexible nature of leather. Of course, it'd never REALLY be secure because a pocket knife can cut the side out of it.

If he needs a secure part of the bag, you could check into some small gun cases. There are some designed for keeping a pistol in a car that are no larger than a hard back book. Maybe incorporate one of those into the bag?

lock, as in to keep kids out of it mainly...i think i found a place that has what i was looking for...www.hardwareelf.com they have a keyed briefcase lock...im going to try that...as for getting the gun out, it should pose a challenge as the opening will only be about 8 inches wide with the lock in the middle..the case will only be 2 inches deep or so, so it should be hard for a full size pistol to come out...added to this will be two coachmen loops on the sides of the bag that will accept a lock to secure it to the truck seat, so the bag wont go anywhere in a hurry....he though this whole thing out and i sorta had to stop myself from chuckling...but what the customer wants, to a degree, is what i'll make...as long as its legal and not dangerous.....i think he really wanted a man purse but didnt want to sound creepy asking for one...

Sounds like some sneaky marketing is required.....the local toy store sells man-purses as "Tactical (tac-ti-cool) single shoulder bags".

I posed the question of 'how secure' because if it's supposed to be leather SAFE, any failure could leave you exposed or explicitly liable for loss. Not that this customer would do that, but it's just one of those things ya gotta think about.

We had night deposit bags at my store that had a Sooper heavy duty zipper that ended with a key lock. The bag was made of thick canvas but I see no reason why leather wouldn't work.

Google " locking deposit bag" to see what I mean.

Jake

We had night deposit bags at my store that had a Sooper heavy duty zipper that ended with a key lock. The bag was made of thick canvas but I see no reason why leather wouldn't work.

Google " locking deposit bag" to see what I mean.

Jake

I thought about that after seeing some zipper locks on OTB...but honestly, and nothing against any of you girls, but zippers on "satchels" just looks girly...i know, this from the man who made 2 pink holsters...lol...