Michu

Great Leather Working School In Sf

Just a v. quick mention of the classes I'm taking at a leather-working school in San Francisco -- It is run at a leather goods retail store in San Francisco on Clement St called "April in Paris" (the teacher is from France).

I've been taking private lessons for about 8 months (2 hours one day a week), but she offers group classes as well.

Here is her website: www.AprilinParis.com

She's helped me enormously! I wanted to learn to make leather bags using my machines, but she usually starts people by teaching them the "old school" methods she learned in France. She used to work (for decades) for a high-end leather bag company called "Hermes" initially in Paris, and then in San Francisco. She uses machinery when it suits her, but she's the BEST hand-skiver, hand-sewer, hand-burnisher (chrome tan!) that I've ever seen.

She is incredibly, incredibly skilled at what she does, and she's the BEST teacher I've ever had.

I pass this on to you because I don't want to hoard. She's really a gift to us wanna-be's.

Good luck to us all!

Michu

Thanks for posting this, I've checked out that site / her products before but didn't realize that classes were available. I'm going to go in and talk to them about classes, I live in the city so tuition and my work schedule are my only hindrances.

I also take class from Bea, she's part of the inspiration for starting my own high quality leather supply site. Her hand work (and machine work for that matter) is quite amazing.

Even if you don't end up taking class, it's worth it just to pop in there and see what really high-end hand leatherworking looks like. Every single detail is perfect.

Will have to be on my 'to do' list for my next trip to CA. I really like visiting leather shops.....Thanks for sharing!