Bob Blea

Different Matting Effects

Hello,

I had a potential customer ask me about different matting effects I could do to cover a large area on a notebook. The whole back will probably end up being matted with no other carving. I made up a set of samples of my matting tools on a piece of scrap and sent it to him to see what he likes. I realized that this certainly can't be all the matting options out there, probably not even a good start. So here is what I know how to do, how about the rest of you. Any neat matting effects you would like to share? Any unique ways of using tools that were not intended for a matting effect, like the pear shader below?

post-15714-0-50439200-1349498002_thumb.j

The tools used here are (left to right) a Beard pebbler, Beard checkered matter, Two modern Craftool Byrnes matters (big and small), a modern Craftool (medium) pear shader, a vintage Craftool (large) figure beveler, a vintage Craftool backgrounder, and two Craftools that I'm not sure what they were called. The one on the far right may have been intended as a small flower center.

If you have any neat ways of matting large areas, please share some pictures!

Bob

Only thing I can think of is quilting a large area. Let us know what you decide on.

know this is an old post, but where did you find the Craftool Byrnes matters? I have looked everywhere and can't find anything resembling them

know this is an old post, but where did you find the Craftool Byrnes matters? I have looked everywhere and can't find anything resembling them

Hello Spartan,

Tandy used to make these backgrounders, but they were discontinued about two years ago when they eliminated many of the old figure carving tools. They will probably be hard to find used since they probably didn't sell that many (you don't see them used very often anyway.) Check ebay tool auctions, and also there is a site dedicated to selling used leather stamping tools, www.usedleathertools.com. I just looked there and didn't see any of these listed. For new ones, I know Robert Beard makes them but he will have a long lead time. Clay Miller could probably make them if he doesn't already. Other than that I'm not sure where you would get them.

By the way, I see I forgot to mention what the customer ended up choosing. Turned out he liked the effect of the large figure beveler.

post-15714-0-95580600-1364927746_thumb.j

Bob