sahansen

Sewing Patches On Vests

I am wanting to start sewing patches on leather vests. could someone help me out with the type and weight of thread i will need to use as well as needle size for my home sewing machine. Also were i have had patches sewn on before they use a double sided tape that seems to come off easy if i need to remove patches, but i have no idea what it is called and where to find it. Thanks everyone for the help

steph

You should be able to use double sided seam tape to hold the patches in place, but shop carefully. Some types are 'removable', some are permanent.

As to what size thread.....that will depend on you. You could sew it with big, thick, 415 thread, but it'd look terrible (on most patches). I'd think you'd want to stay at size 69 or 92.

Sewing them on a home machine......ummm, sure. Be aware that you'll likely have to sew through the lining if you use that type of machine, or make larger openings to get the arm inside it. A LOT of patch sewing is done with a Singer 29 (called a patch machine) or clone, because it features a very small arm and bobbin, and the foot can sew 360 degrees without turning the garment.

If you happen to be sewing on unlined vests....disregard that last part.