Kanga

6 strand choker and lead

I thought I should probably post a pic of something I made. this was made for a lady who does competition dog obedience. She's had it about two years now and loves it. She says when she shows with it the judges often comment on it. I get alot of phone calls from people this lady has referred, she's a good advert!

I had a beautiful hide that I hand cut the lacing from and then skivved the under side outer edges. I also did a twisted leather core, then covered that with a 4 strand leather belly, a bit like a stockwhip and then over plaited with the outer 6 strand. Probably wasted effort but I feel good knowing it's in there. The client loves it too because she just got me to make her another.

I prefer making the handle and neck section in a flat plait as I beleive it gives them more comfort although I will make a round plait if that's what they want. So far I've only ever had one person ask for a round plait.

103-0309_IMG.jpg

close up of the choker

103-0308_IMG.jpg

while I am at it here's some tiny all in one 4 strand show slips, also with flat plait on handle and neck.

105-0525_IMG.jpg

105-0526_IMG.jpg

That is such Nice work. Doing this is one of my dreams. Hopefully one day I'll be showing mine too. Now I need to learn how. Do you use a machine to braid them?

That is such Nice work. Doing this is one of my dreams. Hopefully one day I'll be showing mine too. Now I need to learn how. Do you use a machine to braid them?

thankyou. No it's all done by hand, including cutting the lacing.

Those are fantastic!

I love the straight profile, I couldn't pick a single stand out of place and can completely understand how Noah thought you might've been using a braider.

I hope when I get the balls to try braiding the whip I'm planning, that I've got half as much patience and skill as you do.