Rick5150

Filmjackets.com Says Hello!

My name is Rick Theriault and I am the co-founder of a site called FILMJACKETS.COM. Just like the name may indicate, we specialize in showcasing, identifying and locating jackets seen in films and on television. During the past year or so, we have also started havinf replica jackets manufactured under our own label.

As you may guess, the jackets you see in films are usually beat up pretty badly. When people get a new jacket - even if it is from the exact same manufacturer as the one seen in the film/television show - they are usually disappointed in that it does not resemble the film/television jacket as much as they had hoped.

I have been distressing leather for a number of years using all kinds of techniques to replicate the wear you see on these jackets and vintage jackets in general. I came here to see if I can get more tips and procedures as most of the ones I use were made by me or adapted from others.

You can see an example of my work in the before and after images below:

aging_bruno_5150-101.jpg

fj-0013-002wm.jpg

I am looking for the best way to deglaze leather. I have used 91% isoproyl alcohol and acetone in the past, but have never tried a specialty deglazer and wonder if it is worth the expense. The leather illustrated above had the toughest shine I have ever dealt with and I have 4-5 more of these jackets to do.

Ideas are always appreciated. Thanks!!

Welcome Rick.

I had the opportunity this past year to be an extra on the AMC show Hell on Wheels. The people in charge of the wardrobe had this small cement mixer, the kind you see being used for mixing mortar in bricklaying. They had a bunch of fist sized stones in it and would put the clothes they needed to be distressed into it and run it until the desired effect was attained.

So the trick isn't to simulate all the wear and distress......it's to get all the wear and distress...FASTER.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome...you have a cool website. That's an interesting type of business!

So the trick isn't to simulate all the wear and distress......it's to get all the wear and distress...FASTER.

I am not sure if this was aimed at me, or the Hell on Wheels show distressing method. I can say that it depends on the customer. All distressing damages the leather to some degree or opens it up to damage later. You cannot help that. While there is a specific market for the stone tumbled/stone washed clothing, I find that it is too uniform to look natural.

If the leather is tumbled before made into a jacket, this is even more true. Id looks more natural when the garment is tumbled afterward as scratches and scuffs can now extnd from leather panel to leather panel instead of ending abruptly like when the leather is tumbled before making the jacket. It is still best to distress by hand, in my opinion. Wear should show on the collar tips, pocket flaps and elbows and cuffs. You cannot get this localized distressing by tumbling it.

But whether the customer wants a item to be simulated wear - which you can do with alcohol, acteone, paints, etc. others want the jacket to truly exhibit the beat up look as it is more authentic - especially in today's day and age of hi-def. It is the ager/dyers equivalent to the old days when they used to black out someone's teeth to simulate tooth loss - now they can use CGI effects.

Welcome...you have a cool website. That's an interesting type of business!

Thank you. It is great to have a job that one can be passionate about too!