Sign in to follow this  
The Sugar Lady

Trying To Find A Solution...

So, I had a customer order a belt. Turns out, she measured wrong or typed the number wrong, she's not sure which happened, and the belt she ordered is 4" too short for her hubby. It's one of my horsehair inlay belts. She offered to have another made and see if I can shorten the other one for her to wear.

One problem....well, for me, since I've never had to do this before.

She asked for 4" cut off the tip and an extra hole punched for her to wear it, but my thought is, since the design of the inlay horsehair is supposed to be in the center, that would make it uncentered, right? Could I technically take 2" off on either side?

My other thought is, this was, to me, not a cheap belt, and the idiot in me feels a bit bad about her having to throw more money at me to make another one all over again.

So my people pleasing self is trying to find a solution on how we can use maybe cut the middle part off and sew on two sides that are long enough...only, I don't want to hand stitch the whole danged thing either.

Here's the belt...

Belt1-2.jpg

BeltKeychainBookmark.jpg

Maybe I'm over thinking a tad...I do have some pieces that I dyed and stamped that I could use to extend the belt like I said, but since the barbed wire is so danged close to the edge. (I wish I had more room so that I didn't have to squish it all in, but it is what it is.) I'm trying to figure out how I can stitch that together and it not look goofy, know what I mean.

and I've had several people tell me "she's willing to pay you again to make the entire belt, just take the money and say thank you."

but I have this people pleasing disease that I can't seem to cure...

I've been giving this some thought myself recently just so I'm prepared for a belt extension. My thought was to shorten the belt as needed and put a square ring (or any other piece of hardware that will look good) in at each end with rivets. Then you can add another piece on each end that would extend the belt out to it's needed length. I think this will make it look kind of like a piece of horse bridal (I think I have the right term), but could add some interesting appeal. I think it would be a good option for yours, especially since it doesn't sound like you want to any stitching.

Hmmmmmm, that could work, make it look like a headstall.

I'm mocking up a few ideas in photoshop at the moment, trying to see how different solutions might work.

Just to clarify, I'm not against ANY stitching, I just don't want to be stuck stitching half the length of the belt, plus, i'm not sure WHERE I'd put the stitching. I don't have a stitching pony, so I'm kind of slow, and I don't have the time for what that'll take. Some stitching, like say a few inches is no problem at all.

How fugly would it look to bring the stitching inside, maybe 1/8" bellow the stamping on the belt for a few inches? would that be too far in and cause problems later on down the line?

Edited by The Sugar Lady

Kate I have the same people pleasing problem, one that's on his way here to get his guitar strap. So I'm not going to be a hypocrite and tell you to not feel bad. I think Allen has a great idea for rescuing this belt and making it look even more awesome when you match your dees to your rivets and then you don't have to try and worry about matching the barbed wire. Cut the center part out with the design and enough to wrap over your dee rings, and then add the new lengths on each of those. Then make her a belt too :) IF she wants on after seeing how cool the first one is. Cheryl

Oh you answered while I was. I think what you're thinking of would look nice too, not wonky but planned. But I like the headstall look a lot :) Cheryl

hmmmmm, you know, the bridle idea is sounding more and more interesting. I'll look around and see what kind of rings I can find and get back.

IN the mean time, here's what I meant about the sewing, but I'm not digging it, I think...

and it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one afflicted with the people pleasing disease. LOL

post-19081-0-48776000-1350951391_thumb.j

One thing in this business is constant, most people have no idea what size belt they wear. I always send the attachment here and ask them to measure a belt they have that is comfortable and give me that number. Then I set that on the middle hole, it helps some, however, some people will just say, "I wear a 34 etc", when in fact they need a 38 or so. I explain how to measure and why, and of course I offer to stamp any size they want inside the belt if it helps their ego (You'd be surprised!!).

Chief

post-6362-0-91608600-1350953163_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

I remember reading that here on the boards. I did actually ask her to find a belt that her hubby wears comfortably and measure end to end, then measure from tip to the hole he wears it at. She said she'd remeasure again, so we'll see. I wonder if she just grabbed an old belt of his. I know my husband has a few different ones he wears depending on when he's gone up or down.

I will definitely start sending them the diagram though, anything to help make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks so much for the info.

stamp any size! LOL

Edited by The Sugar Lady

What about this?

Maybe I could jazz it up a bit by adding some conchos instead, make it look more like it was done on purpose.... ;)

post-19081-0-78282100-1350954628_thumb.j

What about this?

Maybe I could jazz it up a bit by adding some conchos instead, make it look more like it was done on purpose.... ;)

YEAH!! That's EXACTLY what I was picturing. It could even be done with some plain brass rings too, but that would open it up quite a bit for the length. I don't know what you have locally, but they carry square rings at my local Joanne's Fabric, and most likely Micheal's Crafts as well.

I have both near me, and hubby and I already have plans to go that way-ish tomorrow.

You could do it with those plain (open / no center bar) rings...round or square...but remember to allow for the fold around each one. I'm guessing that you'd probably need 4 1" rings per side to stretch the belt 4 inches......because you'll use ~1/2" at each fold.

You could do it with those plain (open / no center bar) rings...round or square...but remember to allow for the fold around each one. I'm guessing that you'd probably need 4 1" rings per side to stretch the belt 4 inches......because you'll use ~1/2" at each fold.

Why 4 rings? Are you thinking for her to make up all the space with the rings, or adding new leather to make up the length and using the ring as a method of attachment? I was thinking the latter.

I thought you were suggesting making up the space with rings. That way, the original belt is the only leather used and removes the need to try and match the color.

I can certainly see the merit of only using them to add new pieces. As long as the color/stamping is repeatable, then the latter will definitely be faster and easier.

I hadn't thought about matching the color. I suppose if it were really custom it might be a little bit of a pain.

I'm just glad to hear that others think it's a viable idea since I hadn't had a chance to try it yet :)

I actually, just happen to have another unfinished belt that I dyed from the same leather, and stamped and stained. Twice the work, but because I was worried about getting the belt out in time, I figured it was good insurance, just in case....so looks like it came in handy.