TwinOaks

How much to charge...,

A couple of my worst have turned into my best advertisement tool.

I hadn't thought about it, but that's exactly what happened with some of mine too. They help advertise me more than my own wife does :)

I figured I would throw in my 2 cents on this one. My wife is an artist with a unique canvas, she paints on the surface of feathers. Needless to say, when she started doing these 20 years ago there was not similar artwork to compare it to for pricing. She is constantly told she needs to charge more for her work, but we have found that in order to keep sales flowing, the price has to be adjusted to what the market you are selling in will bare. Her art work is sold globally so this makes things a little trickier!

When the economy was good she had pieces sell for $2,000 + with the condition of the economy now they sell for $300 - $500 depending on what it is. I see a lot of artists that refuse to adjust their pricing to the economy and the current market… their sales drop because people are not willing to spend the $. We found that it is better to sell 10 pieces of art for $300 rather than 1 for $2,000. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that there is no better marketing than word of mouth, if you sell 10 pieces that is 10 people showing off what they got for a great deal and generates more interest and in turn more sales. When the economy improves the price will go up, people will be willing to pay more and the product is still in demand due to the 10 pieces sold. If there were only 1 sold at $2,000 then the market value & demand would drop due to lack of product awareness.

Keeping a presence in the market is key; now there are people out there painting feathers all over the place and if she did not keep her product relevant in the market there would not be orders and her reputation & demand would diminish.

I guess what I am trying to say is that price is relevant to the market… using the calculation of materials + value of time + enough markup to make it worth your while; should be your starting point that you do not go below. Then adjust upward based on the economy & demand.

This is my wife’s website if you want to see her work www.featherlady.net

I do custom work, so what they want they get, that's it.

The PITA Factor arrives when they start trying to re-negotiate the price DOWN from the original quote AFTER you've made all their requested/desired changes to the original request...