LairdM

Full Dress Leather Sporran

Well,

Had a week off work due to illness, so finally got around to making a sporran that a friend commissioned me to make...

I finally got hold of an auto-awl, which makes stitching a lot easier and faster, if a bit more painful when you stab yourself with the pointy end...

fddandelion.jpg

dsci0001v.jpg

dsci0002tx.jpg

dsci0003a.jpg

Very clever design on the top, I like how you've secured it. How are the veg-tan pieces secured? Are they just cemented in place?

Very nicely done . I would offer only one thing : on behalf of all large men with back pain if you were to increase the width of your belt loop attachment it distributes the weight of the bag and contents over over a larger area on the belt. This also contributes to preventing some of the sag in the bag . Making a gusset of two pieces has its own problems ,with centering the seam . A hard card board pattern and a flexable tailors tape aids greatly in finding the exact center . For this type of project Tandy makes a stitching pliars kind of thing for making sewing holes . Made in India . Its about 30.00 if you like it the awl will be retired except for use on thick leather . Might want to look into it . I know this has a specific purpose and use ,but to plant a seed this also makes a nice belt bag for ladies when doing shows . I like your bag looks very well done consider my imput as a old fool thinking out loud use it if it makes sense if not have a good laugh and get on with your day . All my best Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feed back. This is only my 3rd sporran 2 day sporrans for my kids), and my first dress one.

Due to a young framily, money is tight so I'll stick to the auto-awl for now.

I'll bear in mind the advice about the belt loop - used my sporrans as a guide, and didn't think about makng the loop bigger.

I've attached some stiff leather to the inside of the back whichstiffens it nicely, and helps to hold its shape.