yutaoy

Yamata Or Consew

hi! leatherworker,

just saw a YAMATA-FY5318-SM w/ Servo Motor online, think this machine can sew material up to (3/8") thick. i read about consew 206rb, it sews material up to 3/8'' thick too. right? and price is around 300 dollars different.

i wanna to use sewing machine to make soft leather wallet, purse, handbag. for hard leather fabric, i'm just going to use handy tools. so my question is yamata fy5318 will be good enough for soft leather stuff?

thank you guys first! i love leatherworker!

I have both machines (actually not the Yamata FY5318 but the Cobra Class 17 but both are basically the same machines). If you just want to sew soft leather wallets then the Yamata is going to be just fine. The Consew has needle feed so that will help the consistent feeding of heavier items. It can also go up to a 207 thread which is one size larger than the 138 max on the Yamata but if you're talking about wallets then I don't think you'd ever need to go over 138. I use 92 thread for interiors and 138 for the exterior of my wallets. 207 would look kinda bulky (unless that's the look you're going after).

The Consew will give you more flexibility than the Yamata since it can technically go a bit heavier. But then of course there is the price difference. Where are you located? I'm thinking of selling my Cobra Class 17 now that I have the Consew.

Andrew

Thank you! Andrew for your reply. I missed that machine, it sold already. but! I saw another one, is Consew 206rb. also, Andrew, do you know which one is better, consew 206rb or consew 227/226? :)