Sign in to follow this  
blue99

29K71 Rebuild

Hi, I'm back fishing for more answers on my Singer 29k71....... I am finally going to fix the short stitch length.

First the foot that I have on the machine, I think is worn, as I can slide a peice of folded paper under the foot when it is down. Is the foot suppose to rest on the arm?

Now to get the stitch length back, what part should I replace first. I thought to replace the bell crank first. Then other parts if that doesn't work out.....as the round part is pretty worn.

Can you please point me to the right direction.Thanks, John, Blue99.

If your foot's not contacting the plate, that could very well be your stitch length problem. Your presser bar may be hanging in the air or need to be adjusted so the lift mechanism has some space between it. Hanging feet (as they're referred to) will make your stitches shorter. Your foot should be tight to the plate and should firmly hold even a single layer of paper. I'd check this out before proceeding with replacing any parts. I've attached a pic of the stitch length adjustment for fun.

Regards, Eric

post-33297-0-74807600-1352857780_thumb.j

Thanks Eric, I went to see if I could adjust the foot down farther, but the foot just seems to skim across the top of the arm plate......Then when I put in about an 1/8 inch thickness of leather it sews the longest stitch shy of 1/16 inch stitches. The machine is set to sew at 5 stitches per inch. Sewing just fine if I help by lightly pulling the leather through.

I took the head apart and did a wipe down of the parts that effect the stitch length and the ring slide bar seems good. No wearing on the slide, but I don't know about the ring. The bell crank lever had pretty good flat spots on the lever....... not round anymore. The stitch regulator was pretty worn on the opposite of the screw side.......that I brazed some brass into.......the worn area and then filed it back to flat and notched the lower side......made no difference to the stitch length.........Still wondering .....Sincerely, John.