:You_Rock_Emoticon:

So how did old Charlie do on that horse butt? I've thought about getting some just to try out.

Better than I expected. I bought some just to use for a frame mounted seat bottom as I didn't want to waste good tooling leather on something that was not going to be seen. I welded together a pan from scrap and all I had left to cover it was horse butt. At first I was just going to cover it without tooling it because an attempt I made awhile back didn't turn out.

I decided, what the hey, I'll give it another go. It tools up a bit differently than cowhide but I like it. This has no other finish on it other than some Aussie conditioner.

Edited by bustedlifter

Used some horse butt for this.post-1704-0-17725500-1352924066_thumb.jp

I like it. The picture is appropriate too!

I got some horse butt to use for some holsters but haven't tried it yet. I wonder why you can only get the butt section and not the whole hide?

i think it's something to do with the tanneries only supplying the good stuff to the expensive manufacturers. There was an article about it in a recent Shop Talk issue. I'll have to see if I can remember to look it up later.

I got some horse butt to use for some holsters but haven't tried it yet. I wonder why you can only get the butt section and not the whole hide?

Try out some of that horse butt yet?

Try out some of that horse butt yet?

No, not sure what I'm going to use it for yet. It seems to be pretty stiff and hard. I know I've seen it used for the sweat shield on holsters and lining side on belts.

No, not sure what I'm going to use it for yet. It seems to be pretty stiff and hard. I know I've seen it used for the sweat shield on holsters and lining side on belts.

Mess around with it a bit. You could carve and tool and maybe make something out of some. It might surprise you.

It's because the butt is what's Left over from making she'll cordovan. It's basically a byproduct. If you sees the two curves on the butt, that's where they cut the shells from. The rest of the horse hide (the front of the horse) is usually chrome tanned for other purposes.

Andrew

It's because the butt is what's Left over from making she'll cordovan. It's basically a byproduct. If you sees the two curves on the butt, that's where they cut the shells from. The rest of the horse hide (the front of the horse) is usually chrome tanned for other purposes.

Andrew

I didn't realize that you could tool it. Mine seems so hard. If it's good for making water resistant holsters, motorcycle seats and such, wonder why they don't sell whole hides? There must be a specific market or reason...maybe more money elsewhere? It just looks like you'd see bigger pieces of it for sale.

I have tooled some. The first time i tried it it didn't work so well but that was a couple of years ago. This batch is a lot more receptive to tooling. I bought all pieces from Springfield Leather Company.

Andrew, I didn't know that. This stuff works pretty well, though. Maybe I need to hoard it.