Sign in to follow this  
Jon in GA

Holster Interior Treatment?

Hello all. I'm pretty new to leatherwork, and have been making some holsters, mag pouches, etc., with the help from some books on the craft and this forum.

I recently finished my first "good" holster (as in, the first one I'm actually proud of and don't mind showing people!), for a Kahr CW9, and will post some pics soon. I do have a question, though.

What do you all use on the inside of your holsters, if anything?

A little background: I made a pancake style OWB based on the pattern pack sold by Springfield Leather. I vinagarooned the leather after construction and molding. The leather I used was a double shoulder from Sprinfield, which had a nice smooth back, so I didn't think about doing anything to it. After wet molding and vinagarooning, however, the leather roughened up some on the inside.

Now, it's not really that bad, and I can live with it, but I would prefer it be a bit smoother. I know I've seen reference to using Gum Trag, and I have some of that, but didn't think to use it.

So I guess my question is actually two parts: What do you use on your holster interiors 1) Before stitching and/or 2) after the holster is completed, if it needs a little touch up.

Thanks!

From the grump: I just use a coat of neatsfoot oil on the interior of my holsters. Mike

Thanks Mike. I'd assume a pretty light coat, so you don't make the leather too soft? I made that mistake on my first holster attempt - oiled the leather to compensate for the drying from the vinagaroon, as I'd seen here on the forums, only missed the part about a "light" coat of oil. I oiled the heck out of it! Holster still works, just didn't mold very well, and I couldn't get the edges to burnish much at all. Lesson learned.

Hi Jon - I use gum trag on the interior just prior to applying my finish coat. Rub it on with a dauber, then slick it with a smoothing tool of some sort (I use a wooden tool for clay modeling I've had since the 90's) that I bought at an art supply store.

+1 on the Gum Trag.