Shed Tinkerer

Pfaff 1445 With An Efka Variocontrol - Who Knows Anything

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some help. I'm looking into bying my first machine and am looking at second hand walking foot sewing machines. I want to use it for upholstery (marine grade vinyl) and thick canvas for ute/pickup covers. I've come across this Pfaff 1445 with Efka variocontrol. Now I have searched this forum and quite a few other sites and think the Pfaff will do teh work I want to do just fine....BUT.....for the life of me I can't really find any info on the Efka motor. Everyone always talks about clutch vs servo motor but never a mention about the above mentioned air compressor motor.

As a newbie I don't want a fast machine...so I was thinking about a second hand machine set up for leather as this will stitch much slower. The Pfaff I've seen says it's computer programmed. I've attached a pic of the control unit....am I right thinking I can control the speed of the machine with this or am I just looking at something way to complicated for a beginner?

Thanks for your feed back on anything about this set up. Cheers!

post-36483-0-54725600-1353187531_thumb.j

That's an older Efka control box, and there are plenty still in service. I'm currently using some 10 Efka motors and control units. The motor is a standard electrical motor and the air feature refers to the fact that you can control air operated devices such as presser foot lifts, air chain cutters, needle coolers and such. Efka also uses the term "air gap", which is really nothing more than the space between the clutch assembly and motor. They are well built, but like anything electronic it can fail at any time. The good new is, you can easily retrofit your Pfaff to use a newer servo motor and controller if something happens. Your speed control will be limited with the unit shown, but you should be able to sew at a slow enough speed with it for what you want to do. It won't go as slow as a newer servo unit. Don't worry too much about the motor set up, concentrate on knowing if the head sews good. That Pfaff's a decent machine, though original parts are usually more expensive than other brands. They are well built though.

Regards, Eric

Thanks Eric....that explains things a lot better....very usefull info! Cheers!!

The Efka variostop motors are electronically clutch position motors with a 12 step speed control. Clutch and brake are electronically controlled. The control box can also control a lot of extra air pneumatics (or solenoids) like presserfot lift, back tacking etc, If your machine has those extras it need compressed air to operate. This is a old system, Efka was first on developing these kind of motors, your control box might be from the 1980`s. As Eric told you you can easily update your system with a new Efka DC 1550. That is a very good motor, I use one on my 441 clone and I am very happy with it. I also have a couple of other Efka`s, one is a old variostop similar to yours. It still works fine. http://www.efka.net/ have a download section on manuals and sell spare parts. They have excellent customer service, on my latest motor I got help true video call until my motor setup was complete. Thats something you never will receive from China, you pay a Little more to get the best of everything.

Thanks Trox....I'm starting to get my head around the whole compressed air story now. The service provided by Efka sounds rather impressive!

Thanks Trox....I'm starting to get my head around the whole compressed air story now. The service provided by Efka sounds rather impressive!

Yes, customer support is the European sewing motor companies only way to compete with China. (They are still far ahead on technology and quality) Efka told me, it does not matter from who or where you bought your motor, If it is a Efka it is our job to help you until your machine works the way you want it to do. And they did so true Skype video call.

I did not expect that kind of service, it was a pleasant surprise. The German dealer I bought it from gave me the wrong control box, it was for a Dürkopp Adler instead of a Juki as I needed. These new motors are computers, they recognize the machine automatically and normally set up them self. With the wrong controller it did not work, and no help from the dealer. I am glad I called the manufacturer before sent it back to Germany, they programmed it true Skype and sewn it off.

Thank you Manfred in Efka :You_Rock_Emoticon:

About the Pfaff 1445, I believe that was the top of the line Pfaff flat bed triple feed production machine in the upholstery class. High speed, automatic and self oiling, it compares to the DA 767 and Dürkopp N 291. What the famous Pfaff 1245 can do at lower speed, this machine can do in a factory setting at high speed. Thats why you often will find these machines second hand with air pneumatic like; thread trimmer, needle cooling, back-tacking, presser-foot lift and more. They was preferred for factories, when small workshops would choose the 1245 with fewer automatics. You have to check hook and needle bar for wear, get a small (silent) air compressor that can deliver 6 to 8 bar pressure and hook it up.

Good luck

Trox