bluesman1951

Personal Opinion : Ads

I am against ads of all kinds . When I look at my computer screen and see something I did not invite to be there its a unwanted intrusion . My computer screen is my private domain and people selling things are not invited it dont matter who they are or what they sell . Just because some one has harvested my email address does not give them the right to send me things . The time I spend throwing away their GARBAGE is time taken from my life that can not be replaced ,day after day 40/50 pieces of garbage every day to sweep and delete . Enough !!!!!!! If I wish to puchase something I will do a search and seek it out other than that I never need to see a ad . Pop up ads are in the same catagory and class as the AFRICAN scam emails . This I promise : I do not care what you sell if you put a pop up ad on my screen univited I will never buy any thing from you EVER !!!!! This is my personal opinion and my opinion alone . Some things just irritate me beyond my ability to endure and this is one of them . I have ad block installed and wonder why it does not filter these ads out ,rest assured a call is into my computer guy now this intrusion will be dealt with . Bill

What do you do about the crap that comes to your personal mail box ? Call the post office and ask / tell them to sort it out before it gets to you ?

Edited by dirtclod

Where are you at when the popups happen? A lot of well meaning website get conned into popups by adding widgets to their sites, such as hit counters, that actually add the popup code. So, the vendor may not even be aware that they're sending popups. If it's happening here though, I'd lean more toward an infection on your computer and nothing to do with the site itself.

What browser are you running? Most of them have an option that when selected, it prevents nearly all popups and new tabs from being opened.

What do you do about the crap that comes to your personal mail box ? Call the post office and ask / tell them to sort it out before it gets to you ?

I have not got a single piece of mail in years ,gave up mail box stuff long ago . No need to call the post office . Thanks Bill

What browser are you running? Most of them have an option that when selected, it prevents nearly all popups and new tabs from being opened.

My computer is just fine ,I have ad block installed and for the most part it works . I am speaking of the new pop up banner adds on this site . Its in your face advertiseing and your only choice is not to vist this site any longer or put up with them . I am against having no choice or just having a bad choice . At the moment just fed up with junk ,I have 5 email accounts and so far today I have deleted more than 100 pieces of stuff from the spam folders combined . Thats a daily chore and I have reached my overload moment . Thanks Bill

How very odd. Bill, the only ads I get here are the 4 in the banners at the top of the screen, since I allow ads for LW. But I'm running Firefox, since IE kept allowing popups through and was hugely slow when attempting to show pictures.

Where are you at when the popups happen? A lot of well meaning website get conned into popups by adding widgets to their sites, such as hit counters, that actually add the popup code. So, the vendor may not even be aware that they're sending popups. If it's happening here though, I'd lean more toward an infection on your computer and nothing to do with the site itself.

Thanks ,for the most part Linux is free of infections . Pretty tough to get in any thing unsafe sets off all kinds of alarms .Have you noticed the new banner popup ads on this site ? It is of those I spoke of , in your face advertiseing with no choice to view or not . My thinking is give me a choice by putting all the vendors in one spot and if I am searching for something I can go there and see all of them at once . My thinking is please dont force me to view something I have no intrest in . When there is no place to retreat or no choice or only bad choices Iam upset thats pretty simple . Let me have a good choice . Where does one go when there is no pace to go ? Thanks for your response . Bill

Thanks ,for the most part Linux is free of infections .

Uhm, I'm a network administrator, so trust me when I say that Linux IS NOT free from infections. If it were, then they wouldn't write antivirus programs for it.

How very odd. Bill, the only ads I get here are the 4 in the banners at the top of the screen, since I allow ads for LW. But I'm running Firefox, since IE kept allowing popups through and was hugely slow when attempting to show pictures.

Thanks for your response . I also use fire fox and linux as a platform . Have every filter going possible and I am burried in garbage every day 100's of mails to delete every day . Life is a constant barrage of people trying to sell you things ,thats funny because I sell things too . Must make me a hypocrite huh! Bill

Uhm, I'm a network administrator, so trust me when I say that Linux IS NOT free from infections. If it were, then they wouldn't write antivirus programs for it.

Good to know . So far after 3 years its been trouble free ,no need for the shop . For that I am grateful . Thanks for your response . Any opinions on "Qcad " or "Blender" looking for a 3d cad program for pattern and mold making for wet forming leather . Bill

I have absolutely no experience with cad in any form. Blender sounds familiar to me, but all that means is that a bunch of people have used it.

There are no pop up ads here. The reason your ad blocker software might not block the 4 banner ads at the top of the page is because they are NOT coming from a third party website. We have a private adserver, to protect your privacy. No data is collected from the ads other than the clicks. The banner ads at the top of the page are from respected businesses in our industry, and they pay the bills that keep LW online and available for everyone. I hardly think they are "in your face" advertising! You can help LW by clicking on the ads, buying quality products and telling them you appreciate their support of leatherworker.net. Thank you.

Johanna

Bill I use google chrome and there aren't any pop ups when I'm here. they have 4 banner ads at the top and those have always been there, they don't 'pop up.' I think you must have some sort of infection because I never get a pop up on here. Are you talking about the boxes that pop up when you mouse over someone's name? Cheryl

Hey Bill.......................I got something to sell you....................lol

Just kidding my friend.. I hate that too.. BTW did you ever get that pattern finished for the horse?

Mike

Hey Bill.......................I got something to sell you....................lol

Just kidding my friend.. I hate that too.. BTW did you ever get that pattern finished for the horse?

Mike

Yes the patterns are done ,the hard copies turned out well . Now I just copy onto the graph paper and fill in the details (measurements and notes ) and mail them . Wish there was a way to copy them at one of those copy places ,but they want 7.00 per foot to do that making the one big sheet cost 42.00 that makes no sense at all . So to answer your question YES the patterns are done . Next step is take some pictures of the patterns with the notes and measurements and see if they will be sendable by email . That way they will be available by all very fast with out the use of regular mail . Be a shame if those over seas could not get these plans because of mail problems .Let me know when you are ready . Bill

Bill I use google chrome and there aren't any pop ups when I'm here. they have 4 banner ads at the top and those have always been there, they don't 'pop up.' I think you must have some sort of infection because I never get a pop up on here. Are you talking about the boxes that pop up when you mouse over someone's name? Cheryl

Nope ,not those little boxes at all . Its the 4 banner adds of which I speak . Those adds appeared for me for the first time today .Seems everyone has had them for a long time . Wonder why ? No wonder everyone thinks I am nuts . Never saw those 4 banner adds before today so something I had in use to block them has stopped working ,have to look into that . Thanks for your response . All my best Bill

Hi Bill

Are you talking about pop-up ads or the info that pops up when your mouse is on a poster's name like in this screen capture?

post-16698-0-31016200-1353556209_thumb.j

As mentioned by previous posters, there are no "ad Pop-ups" on LW.

As for all the spam you get in your email, the only way to deal with that is to use a spam filter, generally on the server side so you never ever see the spam. However, good email from new contacts often gets trapped unless you have some sort of registration process.

The best way to prevent spam is not to ever post your email address in a public location. If you want to give someone on LW your email address, use something like "billsmail at gmail dot com" so your email address is not recognizable to bots that are scanning all public sites looking for email addresses. Once you are on a spam list, the only way to stop the spam is to change to a new email address. Some sites require you to register with your email address to be able to download files or for access to further information. Many of these sites exist solely to harvest email addresses and sell to spammers. If you are going to register on these types of sites, use an email address that you set up for only that purpose. Then you can just dump all the email (spam) that gets delivered to that address.

As for how long an email address stays on a spammer's list? It's basically in circulation forever. I recently revived an email address I used to use over 10 years ago. Within 24 hours I had spam on that address, and not because I had registered for any new garbage during that period. It was still in circulation after 10 years.

Just posting your address in the open on LW will get you spam within 24 hours, so it has to be disguised.

So now is the time to start changing your email addresses and habits if you want to stop wasting time on spam.

Tom

Tom (Northmount) Your good advice about controlling spam will be helpful to many members. Thank you for explaining the options so well.

You can also tell people on the forum to email you or PM you. If you hover the cursor over a members name, a box will pop up with the send message icons on the left. If the member has allowed it, an email and PM option are presented. You can also reach these options on a member's profile page. The board keeps PM email addresses confidential between the parties. We mods try to catch the real email addresses on the board as they get posted and "fix" them to be bot-unfriendly, but of course we don't get them all.

The advertisers use their ads to announce specials, new products and to introduce themselves to new customers. The ads don't flash or pop up. Many members have found them to be useful, and our sponsors pay for the server fees. A site like this, busy and full of pictures, requires a lot more than "average" hosting. Like I said before, perhaps your ad blocking software does not recognize our private adserver. Our ads do not come from doubleclick, Google or the other big companies that mine data from your Internet browsing and sell it to the highest bidder. Our ads are meant to be informative and useful, and they are owned by very reputable businesses. If we allowed a third party company to do ads we would have no control over the content, or what was done with the info those kinds of ads can collect. Even worse, we wouldn't be able to control where a click on those ads would go. The decision to establish our own adserver was made for those reasons- protecting the privacy of our members and the integrity of the site. With our arrangement, there is nothing on this site that can infect or interfere with anyone's computer.

I hope this answers some questions. I am sorry you feel that the ads are an inconvenience, but I assure you that they are in the best interest of this FREE site. Any person, anywhere in the world, can come here to learn about leather and meet new friends. Without our sponsors, we would not be able to stay online.

~J

Bill,

I have never seen ads on Leatherworker at any time so I was a bit confused when you posted this. Then I got more confused when I read all the responses from others about four ads at the top of the page.

So I went looking to find out why I didn't get something others were getting. Well lo and behold, my ad-blocker is set not to allow them. I changed the setting, and now they show up. Who knew????

So, I would think that if the ads all of a sudden just showed up on your screen, you may have inadvertently changed the setting on your ad-blocking program. I use Adblock Plus from Firefox, and have never ever had a problem.

Also Bill, regarding your e-mail spam. Pretty much every spam e-mail other than those ones from Nigeria, have a "un-subscribe" link in small text at the bottom of the e-mail. I know it takes time to click the link to un-subscribe, but if you do this, the e-mails will be greatly reduced. I used to get hoards of them each day as well, and after spending some time un-subscribing, I may get 2 or 3 a week now, probably because I do so much on-line.

Edited by Beaverslayer

I use Adblock Plus from Firefox, and have never ever had a problem.

I Found this thread and learned something cool about my computer...

I downloaded Adblock Plus and it is Grrrrreat! Works perfect

and it was Eeeeasy to download!

Thanks!

I love this place

Bill,

I have never seen ads on Leatherworker at any time so I was a bit confused when you posted this. Then I got more confused when I read all the responses from others about four ads at the top of the page.

So I went looking to find out why I didn't get something others were getting. Well lo and behold, my ad-blocker is set not to allow them. I changed the setting, and now they show up. Who knew????

So, I would think that if the ads all of a sudden just showed up on your screen, you may have inadvertently changed the setting on your ad-blocking program. I use Adblock Plus from Firefox, and have never ever had a problem.

Also Bill, regarding your e-mail spam. Pretty much every spam e-mail other than those ones from Nigeria, have a "un-subscribe" link in small text at the bottom of the e-mail. I know it takes time to click the link to un-subscribe, but if you do this, the e-mails will be greatly reduced. I used to get hoards of them each day as well, and after spending some time un-subscribing, I may get 2 or 3 a week now, probably because I do so much on-line.

Yes something has changed with my add blocker settings and it looks like a trip to visit the computer guy is in order . As to the trash emails its up to about 100 a day between 5 seperate email accounts . Getting real ticked off about it . I know changing the email will solve this ,but my position is : Its my email I happen to like it ,I have it on my cards for my business and I have no intention of bowing to crooks and change it . I will some how get enough computer skills to melt their key boards if they are stupid enough to send me a scam email . People have no respect for privacy any more and there is no punishment . Did you see where some foriegn crooks breeched a IRS computer some how and had complete access for more than a week and stole identiy informaton on every one who payed taxes in that state . In short they robbed an entire state each and every person who filed taxes is now well on their way to having their ID's mis used . The theives accomplished this without leaveing home sitting in a easy chair simply boggles the mind . Dont appear any punishment is on the way for them either. Makes me sick with all the mischeif going on on line . Bill

Tom (Northmount) Your good advice about controlling spam will be helpful to many members. Thank you for explaining the options so well.

You can also tell people on the forum to email you or PM you. If you hover the cursor over a members name, a box will pop up with the send message icons on the left. If the member has allowed it, an email and PM option are presented. You can also reach these options on a member's profile page. The board keeps PM email addresses confidential between the parties. We mods try to catch the real email addresses on the board as they get posted and "fix" them to be bot-unfriendly, but of course we don't get them all.

The advertisers use their ads to announce specials, new products and to introduce themselves to new customers. The ads don't flash or pop up. Many members have found them to be useful, and our sponsors pay for the server fees. A site like this, busy and full of pictures, requires a lot more than "average" hosting. Like I said before, perhaps your ad blocking software does not recognize our private adserver. Our ads do not come from doubleclick, Google or the other big companies that mine data from your Internet browsing and sell it to the highest bidder. Our ads are meant to be informative and useful, and they are owned by very reputable businesses. If we allowed a third party company to do ads we would have no control over the content, or what was done with the info those kinds of ads can collect. Even worse, we wouldn't be able to control where a click on those ads would go. The decision to establish our own adserver was made for those reasons- protecting the privacy of our members and the integrity of the site. With our arrangement, there is nothing on this site that can infect or interfere with anyone's computer.

I hope this answers some questions. I am sorry you feel that the ads are an inconvenience, but I assure you that they are in the best interest of this FREE site. Any person, anywhere in the world, can come here to learn about leather and meet new friends. Without our sponsors, we would not be able to stay online.

~J

Today is the first time I have seen the 4 banner ads ,so it was a big surprise . I guess my ad block was working up to now.

Apparently as Beverslayer said my ad block settings have changed somehow that will be looked into and corrected . I dont respond well when I do not have a choice to see or not to see . When I cant make something go away or be out of sight my frustration level goes through the roof . Bill

When I cant make something go away or be out of sight my frustration level goes through the roof .

I keep a bottle of white out next to the computer for just that reason .... a few swipes with that and no more problems.

I Found this thread and learned something cool about my computer...

I downloaded Adblock Plus and it is Grrrrreat! Works perfect

and it was Eeeeasy to download!

Thanks!

I love this place

Yes it easy to down load however click on the icon and see how many filters you have . Without the filters it does nothing to block any thing . Iam yet to figure out how to install the filters . Time for me to get some help . Bill