Bluesman

Douglas Diamond Awl Blade

I'm doing some hand stitching and really need a good awl. I bought an Osborne and though its better than the Tandy I had, it's nothing to write home about. I found the Douglas Diamond Awl Blade at $27 and the recommended handle is $75. So, this puts it at about $110 with shipping. I have no problem spending this kind of money for a really sharp, no hassle tool. So, what's the verdict out there in leather land? I don't want something I have to continually sharpen, as sharpening and awl blade, to me is a royal PITA. Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

The general consensus is that Bob Douglas makes some of the best awl blades on the market. If you want an option for the awl handle, contact "Bearman" (a member here). He turns wood for tools and makes a haft that will accept the Douglas awl blades.

The general consensus is that Bob Douglas makes some of the best awl blades on the market. If you want an option for the awl handle, contact "Bearman" (a member here). He turns wood for tools and makes a haft that will accept the Douglas awl blades.

Thanks TO

I strongly suggest the Douglas blades. I use the slim blade for just about all my stitching. My "Stinger" awl handles are designed to fit in the palm, so that they feel like a natural extention of your hand. I have a few left from the Nashville show. They are $35.00 ea. & they will accept just about any blades,,, including the Douglas blades. Here are a couple pictures... Some of the ones pictured are gone. Thanks,, Ed

post-7175-0-45577500-1353817598_thumb.jp

post-7175-0-59709100-1353817615_thumb.jp

I strongly suggest the Douglas blades. I use the slim blade for just about all my stitching. My "Stinger" awl handles are designed to fit in the palm, so that they feel like a natural extention of your hand. I have a few left from the Nashville show. They are $35.00 ea. & they will accept just about any blades,,, including the Douglas blades. Here are a couple pictures... Some of the ones pictured are gone. Thanks,, Ed

Ed, will they fit the regular blade?

http://www.sheridanl...-awl-blades.htm

Or should I be using the slim. Let me know which handles are available and I'm in

thanks,

Jon

Edited by Bluesman

Hi BearMan. I'm interested in one of your handles. Are they designed for larger hands? I have medium sized hands and I find a lot of awls a little too long for me.

Andrew

Okay, this is probably going to be the dumb question for the day... how does the blade go into the handle? And, (hopefully not so dumb!).... are these on your website, do you ship to Australia, and if you do, what is the postage?

But, looks like I probably won't be getting a Douglas awl blade anytime soon.... postage of single awl blade from Sheridan to Australia is more than $30!!!!!!!!!! Which effectively doubles the price of the blade!!!

The shank of the blade goes into a collett in the handle.

The shank of the blade goes into a collett in the handle.

Ummm, okay... now, for the real dummies (me!), could you explain what a "collett" is, please? Thanks

The collet is the hole in the handle that tightens down on the shaft of the blade usually with a knurled nut to tighten it. Look at a drill, router or Dremel tool to see what I mean.

David

The collet is the hole in the handle that tightens down on the shaft of the blade usually with a knurled nut to tighten it. Look at a drill, router or Dremel tool to see what I mean.

David

Thank you - I'm very much a newbie. Still learning, but enjoying the learning process.

I just got one of Bearman's handles. I also have medium sized hands and it fits great. Very happy with it, and it is a work of art along with being a great tool.

bearman - do you take paypal?

I just received bearman's handle today and I must say it's very nice work.

I also ordered two of Douglas tool's awl blades. One regular and one slim. Does anyone have the dimensions of these blades? I think they sent me two of the same blades because they are only a few thousandths of an inch different in width. I had to use my digital calipers to tell the difference cause visually they looked exactly the same.

Andrew

Andrew,

These are made by hand so everyone is different. If you want a slimmer one call them and get them to pick out the slimmest one on hand. They are good folks to deal with and I'm sure will be glad to help you out.

CW

Edited by CWR

I just made the leap from my old Osborne diamond awl and purchased a Douglas blade. Here's hoping it was worth it, considering, with (Barry King) handle, this thing costs almost ten times what I paid for my Osborne.

My Osborne leaves a pretty long hole, so I'm hoping this Douglas blade will leave a more diamond shaped hole, which I've noticed produces cleaner stitches.

Can I get one of these, BearMan?

Edited by SimpletonLeather

Where can I buy a douglas diamond awl? and Bearman, how do I order the handle from you? How much to ship to Canada?

Where can I buy a douglas diamond awl? and Bearman, how do I order the handle from you? How much to ship to Canada?