Sign in to follow this  
Hombro

Hermann Oak Grade A Or B?

Greetings to the everyone! This is my first post, my apologies if this is posted on the wrong section.

I would like to make some iPad bags and Macbook Air bags in veg tan with natural finish similar to the bag in the picture below.

I'm planning to order 4/5 oz & 5/6 oz Hermann Oak Grade B sides from Springfield and 9/10 oz Single Belt Bend. Do I have enough usable leather to make 2 bags in 1 HO Grade B side or am I better off buying a Grade A side?

Thanks in advance !

post-32102-0-67310300-1353991485_thumb.j

The short answer is yes, you'll have plenty for the bags AND the straps, from one side.

I don't think you've quite grasped how big a side of leather is....the SLC site says 22-26 sq. ft. A sheet of plywood (8x4) is 32 sq. ft. If you look at a full sheet of plywood and reduce it to 8'x3' you'll be at 24 sq.ft. So, there's an estimate of how big it is - and cows don't come 'square' so there will be some wider and narrower places. Look at the pics of the sides on the website (SLC) for the shape of the side....and keep in mind that it's somewhere between 7 and 9 feet long across the back.

Thanks TwinOaks ! I've ordered chrome tanned sides before, it's my first time to order veg tan and I was concerned about the amount of blemishes that a HO Grade B side might have. Are SLC HO Grade B sides good enough for bags?

When you call them to order, just tell them what you are using it for and they will pick you out a nice clean side. They have for me and I have never been disapointed. They are geat folks to work with and customer serive is tops. I rarley order from anyone else these days.

RC

I always buy Grade B from SLC and it is beautiful, The only blemishes I've ever noticed is the clip marks around the edges where it was tanned. I would estimate that at worst you might lose 5-7% due to waste and if you plan your cuts well, you would have lost that anyway or more. I think you'll be very happy with Grade B.

Chief