Sign in to follow this  

Hi, I don't have Internet sincere moved out of town and searching is difficult with only having my iPhone.

Anyway I want to try a new to me technique. I was inspired by a pic I saw in here he called it apocalyptical I think? I like the coloring that was used looks almost weathered. I think that it is the same technique for a lot of tooling also. All around color with darker impressions?

I have made a few patterns I like but I only know how to dye the entire project. So I know I need some antique gel or paste and a resist? I found black antique gel on Springfield website but don't know what resist to buy and how to apply both?

End result I want would be an all colored project with the impressions a dif shade. I prefer black. Is there a way to do black impressions with a lighter black or grey everything else?

Also i currently use fiebings oil dye and a 50/50 mix of mop n glow and water that I learned here and works awesome!

Tha is for the help and your time!!!

The traditional resist is Clearlac, but don't use it if you are using any of the Eco Flo antiques as you will end up with a mess. Most people use Fiebings Antique paste. I have never used black, and I understand there can be some problems with the black. There was a thread a couple months ago where Double U leather had some problems and how he resolved them. The Clearlac will also serve as a final finish. Look at some of Hidepounder's work and you will see some beautiful work using the above process I described.

Hope this helps a little.

Terry

Check out the video on You Tube called Antiquing Leather by CowboySaddlery.

Thanks for the tips! I'm ordering supplies this weekend!