CWR

Ruff Out Arizona Roper

This is a Sonny Felkins tree with 14 inch swells and leg cuts. The leather is Hermann Oak.This is number two for me. I had a couple of guys that I hold in very high regard go over the saddle with me but they may have held some critiques back out of kindness. Please tell me what you think. You won't hurt my feelings. One note, I was in a hurry to get the pictures before the customer picked it up and didn't notice that the fender was pulled back in the profile picture. This make it look too far back and the forward swing is restricted. It's not. You could spur one from his eyeball to the root of his tail if you wanted to.

Thanks for looking.

CW

post-5332-0-90458600-1354286423_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-65718700-1354286452_thumb.jp

post-5332-0-04360200-1354286477_thumb.jp

This one would look good if it were #20 not #2. One thing: cantle binding alignment is not as balanced as it could be. This also would stem from the meeting of the seat and cantle filler. Cantle binding does not appear to be of uniform width. Cantle binding front edge not consistently on top of cantle. Fender back reveals clean work underneath so that's a wash.

Thank you sir. I will pay closer attention on the binding on the next one.

Appreciate it.

CW

CW, perhaps the look of the binding is simply showing the work underneath it. when you bring the three peices of leather up to the point where you cut them off, be sure to be really fussy to make sure that the crease that is behind the cantle edge is really deep and pronounced in each of the three pieces (seat leather, filler and cantle back), I constantly go over mine many times with a tickler or deer horn to be sure it is prominent. Then I use divider to scribe a line about an 1 1/2" out from there, using that groove. to mark the outer edge, being careful to make sure that at the point where the cantle meets the bar in front on both sides is identical and not out past that scribe line. That way when you add the binding, it will be uniform when finished. Take the time, you will be satisfied with the results.

Bob

Edited by BondoBobCustomSaddles

Thanks Bob. I will get that deeper on the next one. Appreciate it.

CW

Great job! It looks better than my 50th saddle.

Keep up the good work,

-Ty-

Thanks Ty. But I think you are being a little generous. Your work is awesome.

CW