HELP Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a Mounted Shooting Rig that is a two belt style? The back piece is 3 1/2 to 4" wide and the front belt is about 2 1/2 wide. Thanks in advance

HELP Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a Mounted Shooting Rig that is a two belt style? The back piece is 3 1/2 to 4" wide and the front belt is about 2 1/2 wide. Thanks in advance

I'd be more than happy to help but I'm not familiar with what you're looking for. Do you have a picture of one?

No I don"t but I have found them on the web. I do have a lead on someone who does mounted shooting in the area. The best way I can describe the belt is....the back piece can be anywhere from about 3" to 6" wide and is decorative and then tapers down to about 2.5'" with roller buckles on both ends (ends up on the sides of the person). The front belt is 2.5" and each end has billets. The holster(s) are crossdraws. The problem I have is how the belt is adjusted to different size people. Which belt is made bigger/smaller or do you make both belts bigger/smaller?

Does anyone have a pattern or know where I could get a pattern? Thanks

I have a 2-1/2" template that tapers to 1-1/2" billet and chape ends. I could modify the template to your specs. A link to one these websites could also get me on the right track for making a template. If u want give me a call at (760) 385-3879. I'm off work this whole week and this sounds like a cool project for me. Just point me in the right direction.

Edited by CountryTrash

Buster;

You will want to adjust the rear belt so your buckles are on the sides of the shooter. The front double sided billet is then made to size for the shooter. The trick is to make sure the buckles are on the sides of the shooter so there's plenty of room for the two holsters. This is sometimes a problem for a young or very thin shooter.

These ladies rigs used to be pretty popular because they could be adjusted a lot for whatever clothes the lady was wearing. They are still seen in CMSA, but not as much.

post-5122-0-90290900-1354597711_thumb.jp

Alright, here's what I've come up with based off of your description. The front belt is 2.5 in. tapering down to 1.5 in. on the billet ends. The back belt is 5.0 in. tapering down to 1.5 in. chape ends. Each template is marked with a center line. These would have to be stretched in length to fit the end user. And the back belt's center could be reshaped after it's been stretched to fit user. The chape ends on my template are designed for a center bar buckle. if you're wanting to use roller buckles they would need to be altered in order to put a belt keeper on. Let me know if I'm in the ball park here. Are you making this for personal use or making for someone?

CT

BED0F9B3-E1F3-4442-84E5-612DAA3D02A6-1027-000001992A7B7A87.jpg

Edited by CountryTrash

That's a nice start. When you stretch Country's patterns, make sure you pay attention to the front panel, where it is 2.5" tall. You'll need more length than you think, depending on how Buster makes his holsters. My holsters are about 4" wide, plus with an inch or so in between them, I need about 9" of equal width to hold the holsters. So, your solution is to either find a way to narrow the holsters more (which is tough for two .45 cal guns), OR lengthen the wide area of the billet (which will work for......"not skinny'......shooters but reduces the amount of adjustment, OR use a single width billet all the way across. I use the single width and make the flap pocket of the holsters smaller. The trade off there is that you have 1.5" holding the holsters rather than the standard 2.5". This can cause some problems holstering and drawing on the run. A way to counteract this is a second, small belt that goes around the body and the bottom of the holster, keeps them from "flapping." A second trade off is the holsters tend to slide since there's only 1.5" of belt there, and the billet is thinner (in Oz's) than what you would make a regular belt.. Make sure your holsters are as tight as possible on the belt.

I don't have a pattern to send, since I don't use patterns for this particular belt. But the pattern above is an excellent start.

EDIT: Of course, the billet can be made wider by using wider buckles than 1.5" such as 2" or more roller buckles. Forgot to mention that. Talk to your client and see if she is ok with that idea.

Russ

Edited by Russ

No I don"t but I have found them on the web. I do have a lead on someone who does mounted shooting in the area. The best way I can describe the belt is....the back piece can be anywhere from about 3" to 6" wide and is decorative and then tapers down to about 2.5'" with roller buckles on both ends (ends up on the sides of the person). The front belt is 2.5" and each end has billets. The holster(s) are crossdraws. The problem I have is how the belt is adjusted to different size people. Which belt is made bigger/smaller or do you make both belts bigger/smaller?

Does anyone have a pattern or know where I could get a pattern? Thanks

I've been thinking about your sizing question since I made that template last night. I guess it kind of depends on where the shooter wanted the buckles? I have absolutely no idea how this type of rig is worn. Around the waist? around the gut?Just under the chest? Making the template though was pretty easy after I saw a decent picture on the net. If you already have billet and chape templates it's even easier.

Thanks everyone for your help. Country/Trash thanks for the template it was really nice and helped me alot. I will be calling you.

I’m interested in making a mounted shooting rig for a friend..

does anyone have a pattern for a 2 gun setup with a back belt?