SpringyCL45

Sample Kit Not Really Representative?

I've been reading about different leather quality for different brands and have received sample kits from Wickett & Craig as well as Horween. I've been hand buying Tandy leather from one of their stores so I've only ever used Tandy leather for my few projects that I've completed and as far as know the Tandy leather works and looks just fine. Maybe I'm not that educated in leather yet?

I want to try something else: HO, W&C, Horween, or ? to compare the leather to Tandy. When I received the sample kit from W&C I was surprised at how it looked and felt. The little square swatches felt very light and stiff almost like cardboard. It also looked like they cut all the squares from the same piece of leather and just painted the dye color on top of the square? (Like all they were showing was a sample of the colors they offer not at all a sample of the leathers they offer?) Is that normal for them? How am I supposed to touch and experience a type of leather they offer? Just going off of their samples it makes me want to stick with Tandy and I know that can't be right...

Now, the Horween kit I received, is a different story! As soon as I took the swatches out of the envelope I could feel the differences between each swatch and could tell a difference between theirs and the Tandy leather I've been getting. It also looked like they actually cut each swatch from a separate truely dyed side and represented their line accordingly.

Again, I could just be completely wrong about W&C but has anyone else experienced this? The leather sides purchased from W&C not being like their sample swatches?