RoosterShooter

Looking For 'military' Type Sling That I Can Copy.

The title says it all. I am looking for a military style leather sling that I can copy for my own use. The one I am looking for looks like the following picture.

M1907%20Sling%20Assembled%20on%20Rifle,%20.30%20M1-thumb.jpg

That's the M1907 sling. It's nothing more than a leather strap with double punched holes...you can look up the specs on it to make your cuts and holes. However you still need the hardware....which can be found here: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/slings-sling-swivels/sling-loop-sets/brownells-competitor-plus-sling-hooks-prod25735.aspx

www.Turnersling.com Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

That's the M1907 sling. It's nothing more than a leather strap with double punched holes...you can look up the specs on it to make your cuts and holes. However you still need the hardware....which can be found here: http://www.brownells...-prod25735.aspx

Where would I find the specs?

I'm familiar with quite a few of the military manuals, as I have several for my M1s, M1As, and several other random topics. Would I look for the specs in a military manual, or would they be on a civilian site?

Edited by RoosterShooter

http://worldwarsupply.com/M1-Grand/

about halfway down the page describes it 1.25 inches wide, and the shorter of the two is 25 inches; and both straps were double punched 2/3rds of their length. I don't see the specs for the longer strap, but gimme a few days and I'll measure the one at the store.

http://worldwarsupply.com/M1-Grand/

about halfway down the page describes it 1.25 inches wide, and the shorter of the two is 25 inches; and both straps were double punched 2/3rds of their length. I don't see the specs for the longer strap, but gimme a few days and I'll measure the one at the store.

Thank you.

Hey it’s a question I can answer! My camera’s dead tonight; I can try to add some pics tomorrow if that would help. So here’s the breakdown of a M1907 sling. I took specs from one of the earliest makers, Rock Island Armory, and measuring my own Turner/Brownells Biothane sling.

Long loop- 1 each, leather, 10oz full grain, 1 ¼ inches wide by 56 inches long, edge creased. One end has the double hook, or “frog”, triple riveted to it. The other end is rounded. It has sixteen (16) double rows of 3/16 inch holes. There are 32 total, starting 2 inches from hook end. They’re punched 1 1/8 inches center to center which is also about 1 inch edge to edge.

Short loop- 1 each, leather, 10oz full grain, 1 ¼ inches wide by 27 inches long, edge creased. One end has the double hook, or “frog”, triple riveted to it. The other end has a 1.25 inch welded rectangular ring stitched in place. The ring is located 3 inches from the end and the stitching is in both creased channels, two rows each 2 5/8 inches long with one stitch inboard and doubled back one stitch. It has fifteen (15) double rows of 3/16 inch holes. There are 30 total, starting on the ring end, 1/4 inch from the end of the leather where it’s stitched down, or measured 3 ¼ inches from the end. They’re punched 1 1/8 inches center to center which is also about 1 inch edge to edge.

Keepers- 2 each, leather 10oz full grain, 7/8 inch by 6 inches, edge creased, ends skived 1 inch, glued and stitched. Overall circumference is 4 inches, with skiving overlapped. The stitching is in both creased channels, two rows each 7/8 inch long.

Hooks and ring are Parkerized steel (earliest were blackened brass) and rivets are brass.

Hope this helps. Here’s some detail pics I swiped off the web.

Ring end

post-16174-0-21195900-1355117032_thumb.j

Hooks

post-16174-0-65051800-1355117467_thumb.j

Keepers

post-16174-0-22965300-1355117721_thumb.j

what kind of a machine do they sew those loops with?

tk

that would be hand work. well, at least for me it would be. i don't know what kind of machine (IF there is even one) that could do a stitch like that (inside of a keeper).

Edited by ramrod

The stitching looks like pricking iron work.

Since 5rings had the measurements, I guess I don't need to post the ones I found on a replica from India....

thaank you for finding them.