Sign in to follow this  
strudell

Bridle Duffle Bag Weight

Hi there,

I'm making my first big materials purchase from Wickett and Craig soon and had a quick question.

For soft bags, such as totes, duffles, rucks, etc, is a bridle hide at 2/3 oz going to have the softness people are typically looking for? Or do I need another material choice altogether?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

Shane

My personel opinion is I would cut off a couple small pieces and sew them together like you were making a bag . See how the seam holds up when you twist and stress it . Next I would give it the wad test simply do to a small piece what would happen to a bag or tote in its normal life . Here you want to see if the top grain will crack . Over all feel is a matter of personal choice ,I have found that people do not wish a bag to feel too thin ,next they want it to have some weight but not too much . Weight has a very fine line between to heavy and to light . Something with the buttery soft feel sells before something that feels dry . That has been my experience . Market research helps, cut a small piece and hand it to a woman with the question "What do you think "? Pay attention the feed back here, touch matters here and is a important part of making a sale . There is simply no substitute for research and doing your homework so pass a sample around and see. The only opinion that matters here is the customer the one with the cash. Its their perception of what you have made that gets you a pay day . I wish you good luck with this . All my best Bill

Depends on what you mean by "soft". Veg tan leather will never be as soft as what you see on say a Coach leather duffle simply cause they use chrome tan leather. You can ask W&C to run your split leather through the staking machine once and that will soften it up some. Use a 3-4oz for something like a tote or rucksack. It will be softer but it will never be as soft what most people think in terms of fashion bags.

Andrew