soarin

Bifold Wallet

Hellow everyone I would just like to say this is an awesome fourm with a wealth of information. So I am compleatly new to leather working. I have been reading things online over the past two weeks trying to find a winter break project "Im a sophmore in college" and have been contemplating leather work for some time. I would like to make a bifold wallet over my break that last a month. So do you think this is a good idea. If so what materials should I use, I don't have a lot of money to invest at the moment. what tools would I need for just this project? Also is there a way to get a free pattern for a bifold wallet? Thank you very much

A good way to start is to buy a bifold inner from Springfield Leather Company, then cut a piece of 4/5 oz leather so that the width is the same and the length is 1/8" longer to accomodate folding the wallet, on folded items you want to add ~2X the width of the leather, since it's 4 oz, that is 8/64 (after you double it), or 1/8". Decide if you want to sew it or lace it, then dye the leather and start assembly. There will be different tool requirements depending on lacing or stitching.

Tools needed

Straight Edge Ruler (preferrably stell with a cork back)

Sharp knife (Box Cutters work well, just make sure it's sharp)

dye

finish

Tools/materials needed for lacing

Lace 3/32" (good quality)

lacing punch 1/8" single prong

lacing punch 1/8" 4 prong

(A 00 hole punch can be substitued for the 2 lacing punches above)

2 prong lacing needles (at least 2)

Scratch Awl for marking leather and can be used to pull lace ends up between the leathers)

Stylus (not absolutely necessary, but better for pulling up lace ends)

Stitching

Diamond Awl (good quality)

groover

Harness Needles (at least 2)

Thread (waxed)

edge slicker

I probably missed an item or two, trying to keep it just to the necessities. I'm sure someone will correct any thing I missed.

Welcome to the forum.

Chief

A good way to start is to buy a bifold inner from Springfield Leather Company, then cut a piece of 4/5 oz leather so that the width is the same and the length is 1/8" longer to accomodate folding the wallet, on folded items you want to add ~2X the width of the leather, since it's 4 oz, that is 8/64 (after you double it), or 1/8". Decide if you want to sew it or lace it, then dye the leather and start assembly. There will be different tool requirements depending on lacing or stitching.

Tools needed

Straight Edge Ruler (preferrably stell with a cork back)

Sharp knife (Box Cutters work well, just make sure it's sharp)

dye

finish

Tools/materials needed for lacing

Lace 3/32" (good quality)

lacing punch 1/8" single prong

lacing punch 1/8" 4 prong

(A 00 hole punch can be substitued for the 2 lacing punches above)

2 prong lacing needles (at least 2)

Scratch Awl for marking leather and can be used to pull lace ends up between the leathers)

Stylus (not absolutely necessary, but better for pulling up lace ends)

Stitching

Diamond Awl (good quality)

groover

Harness Needles (at least 2)

Thread (waxed)

edge slicker

I probably missed an item or two, trying to keep it just to the necessities. I'm sure someone will correct any thing I missed.

Welcome to the forum.

Chief

Thank you very much! What type of leather should I get? Is there any way to buy leather that is not an entire sholder or side?

I would get veg tan 4/5 oz, you can buy it from Springfield Leather Company, one of our sponsors here in 2 sq ft increments. If your're just starting out I would get Herman Oak Craftsman Grade and 2 sq ft is plenty to make several wallets and other items as well. They are the only ones I know of that sell by the sq ft in 2 sq ft increments.

Chief

Another option if you're just starting out and want to try it out is to buy a wallet kit, or a beginners kit that includes a wallet, it will come with many of the things I mentioned above depending on which kit you buy. These are readily available from Tandy and are on sale right now. The tools aren't high quality, but it is a start to determine if you like doing leather work. I would venture that most of us on here started with a Tandy Kit early on, I bought a deluxe kit in 1971/72 and it hooked me on leather work. None of the tools are still on my tool bench but it taught me how to work with leather. Most of the new ones come with a DVD of George Hurst showing you how to do most of the things in the kit and a book on leather working for reference.

Chief

Im am not very intreasted in a kit. would springfield leather's 4/5oz top tooling side work? http://springfieldleather.com/20625/Side%2CTooling%2CTop%2C4-5-oz/ im trying to stay cheep untill I know enough to make a piece I would carry.

Yes, just make sure it's one of the leathers they sell in 2 sq ft increments.

Chief

You can check out the scrap bin at Tandy or other sellers a buy just the one piece you want. Scrap bag gets more pieces but might not have what you want and becomes more waste.

Tom

Im am not very intreasted in a kit. would springfield leather's 4/5oz top tooling side work? http://springfieldle...ing,Top,4-5-oz/ im trying to stay cheep untill I know enough to make a piece I would carry.

That one should be just fine - it's the exact same side I buy for the same use.

I'm pretty sure they can get you just a square foot or two off of that, you might just email them or call to make sure though. They'll get you setup perfect every time.