Sign in to follow this  
pete

photo albums

what do you folks normally use for(oz.) weight when making 3 ring foto albums?

pete

It depends on if you are using 1 layer, 2 layers(lined), or are lining and adding a stiffener in the middle. Try to get to around 9-10 ounce total. 6-7 with a 2-3 liner is great. I always also add a plastic stiffener, Ohio Travel Bag lists it as "Briefcase Stiffener". You may also use compressed cardboard or another type of thin plastic sheet(you need a tax ID to buy from Ohio Travel Bag).

The trick to gluing the liner in is to rub the LINER side while assembling. This creates a curl on the cover of the albumn, allowing the outside of the cover to shrink slightly without the corners curling up, away from the pages.

Hope this helps.

Barry

It depends on if you are using 1 layer, 2 layers(lined), or are lining and adding a stiffener in the middle. Try to get to around 9-10 ounce total. 6-7 with a 2-3 liner is great. I always also add a plastic stiffener, Ohio Travel Bag lists it as "Briefcase Stiffener". You may also use compressed cardboard or another type of thin plastic sheet(you need a tax ID to buy from Ohio Travel Bag).

The trick to gluing the liner in is to rub the LINER side while assembling. This creates a curl on the cover of the albumn, allowing the outside of the cover to shrink slightly without the corners curling up, away from the pages.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Barry,

Do you rub the liner from the center out, randomly? I'm not sure I understand how that works. Also, are you going to the Boot & Saddlemaker trade show in Oct.?

Marlon

Yes, rub from the center of the binder, out. This tends to curl the outer leather(cover). Most of you have seen albumns with the corners curling up, away from the pages. This starts the curl with the corners touching the pages, then as the cover shrinks, it flattens out instead of curling up, away from the pages. Try not to rub too hard or you will end up with a lot and it won't look very good. A glass slicker works well with light pressure.

And yes, I will be at the Boot and Saddlemaker show, also the IFOLG

Yes, rub from the center of the binder, out. This tends to curl the outer leather(cover). Most of you have seen albumns with the corners curling up, away from the pages. This starts the curl with the corners touching the pages, then as the cover shrinks, it flattens out instead of curling up, away from the pages. Try not to rub too hard or you will end up with a lot and it won't look very good. A glass slicker works well with light pressure.

And yes, I will be at the Boot and Saddlemaker show, also the IFOLG

Thanks for the explination. And glad to here you're coming to the B/SM show. (I love your tools).

Marlon