mikebuilt

Help Setting Up Sewing Machine.

I have a singer 211w151 needle feed,

Consew ¾ hp servo motor.

I am total new to using a sewing machine and especially leather like I want to do. I have been practicing on some old blue jean material. I am thinking about adding a speed reduction pulley to make it run real slow. It seems to have plenty of power just a little touchy on the speed control the foot pedal is all or nothing, so I just set the motor to a very slow speed. So I have a few questions for the prows. First off what do you think about the setup that I have? Second what do you think about the speed reduction pulleys I don’t want to spend $150.00 on something that I don’t need. Third what size needle should I be running, and brand ,do the lather points make that big a difference? What size string should I am running for making holsters and sheaths. I like the white or light collard waxed thread. Also can you point me in a good direction for a supplier? My local shop is no good at all. I know this is a lot of questions from a new be.

Thanks from Mike

If your servo motor can't be controlled at slow speeds, return it, or get rid of it and buy a better motor (there are lots of better servo motors). Or, invest in the speed reducer and give up the top speed.

As for waxed thread, your machine cannot sew with it. Waxed thread gums up everything along the path and the eye of the needle. No loop will be formed in the eye of the needle and you will ruin your projects. The largest thread that your machine can practically handle is probably #69 bonded nylon. Impractically, you may be able to use #138 on top and #92 in the bobbin.

Your machine should work very well with denim or other cloth items, but not smooth leather or smooth vinyl It isn't made to sew very much thickness either. This is a high speed needle feed and drop feed machine, with a fixed slotted presser foot.

If you want to sew leather holsters and sheathes, save up for a larger leather stitcher, known as a 441 clone. I have a Cowboy CB4500. Others use Cobra and Techsew 441 clones. These machines sew up to 7/8 inch of leather, at incredibly slow speeds, and can handle #346 or even #415 bonded nylon thread. Most holster makers on these forums use one of the major brands of a 441 clone (Juki TSC 441).

Edited by Wizcrafts