I just completed my first leather project (a belt) and will be giving it to my dad for Christmas. I dyed the belt using Eco Flo all in one dye/finish. The belt didn't end up with a nice glossy finish, though, so I'd like to make it shine a bit more. I have some Fiebing's Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax, but it takes off the dye when applied with a cloth. I've read that you can use a sprayer to get an even coat to avoid removing the dye. My question is: could I just use black kiwi shoe polish to shine the belt? It would seem that this would avoid removing the dye and add some shine once buffed. I'm just worried about the dye/polish coming off on pants when worn. Thanks for the help!

Put a coat of clear lac spray on it depending what is already on it. You put shoe polish on it and it will rub off. I would test whatever you decide to spray on it on a piece of scrap that you have put Eco flow finish on.

David

As an update: the Eco Flo was horrible. It started cracking and peeling off the leather after wearing the belt once. I decided to remove all of it by soaking the belt in water (the dye was water-based). I then used vinegaroon to dye the belt black (after soaking the belt in strong black tea). Went very well and the belt looks GREAT now!!! I highly recommend trying out vinegaroon if you're looking for a nice, even black finish.