Sign in to follow this  

I mixed up a batch of Mop N Glo diluted to 50/50 and then applied it with a spray bottle to some undyed veg-tanned leather. From what I've read from the other forums about Mop N Glo it should be applied very lightly and at no more than two coats. So when I started to mist the solution on to the leather from about 18" away this resulted in the leather having a speckled look with the Mop N Glo appearing shiny.

To me it seemed like misting the solution on didn't cover all of the leather with the Mop N Glo solution and left some of the leather uncovered which resulted in the speckled look. But in order to cover all of the leather with the solution, I had to apply what I would call a pretty heavy coating.

So all you Mop N Glo people out there, how are you able to mist on the solution evenly in what constitutes a light coat? Other than the speckling I liked the overall aesthetic it gave.

Thanks,

Paul

I've never tried the mop and glow. Eighteen inches away seems pretty far to me. Where you using a airbrush or a spray bottle? If your using a spray bottle i always pump it a couple of times before i put any water on something i'm going to stamp because it seems to take a couple of pumps to get the pipe inside full. If i don't do that i get the big spots your talking about. I use a sponge to put my finish on.

When I say 'mist' it on, I mean to cover the surface completely, but not so that the stuff will run. Yes, if too far away or with a hand pump sprayer that doesn't put out a true uniform spray pattern of fine particles, you can get spotting, BUT another coat quickly applied covers the problem. I use the term 'mist' because sooooo many folks decide that if a little is good - - more is better. Mike Mike

Edited by katsass

For this application I went ahead and diluted the mixture with a little more water and I sprayed it on with a spray bottle ensuring that the surface was uniformly covered as suggested by Katsass. Once it was dry I heated the leather and hand rubbed in some neutral kiwi shoe polish.

Overall it turned out much better than the previous pieces I worked on. But I did notice some small dark spots appeared on the leather, almost as if I sprinkled black pepper over it! Perhaps since I am using undyed vegetable tanned leather the specks are more apparent than if I would have been working with dyed leather.

Hopefully the specks can be seen in the picture I've uploaded. Any ideas as to what may cause that?

post-13312-0-54167200-1356372261_thumb.j

You may have iron in your water? I do, and if I case with it, or dilute dyes or paints with it, it can cause speckling on the leather. Or if the unfinished leather is allowed anywhere near where metal was ground or steel wool was used. Usually, the speckling is hidden when I dye, so I don't worry about it much, and just use distilled water when I am doing anything that will be left natural, oil-tanned, or lightly tinted.

I realize I missed this tread when it was current. I just wanted to mention that I dunk my holsters in the 50/50 mop-n-glow, sometimes twice. I am very happy with the results. Does anybody else do this?

Ill have to try the dunking. I use an air-brush with 50-50 mop n glow and it turns out very well. I really wish it would shine a little more, it seems to give a more satiny finish than acrylic spray.

And black speckles are not due to the mop n glow. It is iron and tannic acid in the leather that produces the black specks. It can be bleached out with oxalic acid or even lemon juice.

Tom

I will have to try some oxalic acid. For now I have been using a 50/50 mix of neetsfoot oil and paraffin wax that I rub in and set with a lighter/heat gun. Water beads on top of the leather and it has a nice matte sheen to it.