sangmort

10-12Oz Latigo / Bridle Bellies...

Hey all! :D

Love this site. But I had a question ;)

We've been making dog tack out of 10-12oz latigo. We recently bought a couple sides, and have found...well...we have a LOT of belly!

I read here that belly leather often stretches / wrinkles, and thus, wouldn't be good for collars / leashes. So I guess my question is, what can I use it for? We have a lot of belly, & this hide wasn't cheap, so the more of it I can use, the better :) [ plus, I'd hate to throw good leather away ]

Also, is 10-12oz belly latigo as weak / stretchy / etc. as straight up veg-tan belly?

Thanks in advance to whoever reads this. :) ~

I made dog collars from english bridle or harness and I lines them with 3-4oz latigo.

Out of the belly part of the hide tho? ~

I use the bellies for coaster and small pouches, key chains and product tags. Certain bellies are running from $8 to $22 depending on the status of the leather. If you cannot use it, try to sell them on here or eBay to recoup the costs back to help you move forward. Good luck

I buy sides of latigo and bridle and also end up with lots of bellies as well. I use the belly sections for strap keepers, liners (for collars and leash handles), embellishments (bows, dog tags) and just general experimentation. I started making dog shaped book marks but found most people uninterested in them. More recently I've been using the bellies for making dog bag holders that are affixed to the leash. I had some much belly sections saved up that I was able to make an entire set of camera lens cases, which I posted pictures of in a separate post.

I use the bellies for coaster and small pouches, key chains and product tags. Certain bellies are running from $8 to $22 depending on the status of the leather. If you cannot use it, try to sell them on here or eBay to recoup the costs back to help you move forward. Good luck

I would have never thought of coasters! That's genius. lol Thanks! :)

I'd preffer not to sell them, but it's nice to know we'd have that option.

I buy sides of latigo and bridle and also end up with lots of bellies as well. I use the belly sections for strap keepers, liners (for collars and leash handles), embellishments (bows, dog tags) and just general experimentation. I started making dog shaped book marks but found most people uninterested in them. More recently I've been using the bellies for making dog bag holders that are affixed to the leash. I had some much belly sections saved up that I was able to make an entire set of camera lens cases, which I posted pictures of in a separate post.

Yes yes yes!!! I saw your camera lens cases! They are really well done! I have quite a collection of lenses too, so I may give that a shot. :D Though, there's probably no way they'll turn out as nice as yours lol

We were going to try making poop-bag holders. Guess I'll give it a shot with the belly. :)

Thanks a ton guys! ~

We were going to try making poop-bag holders. Guess I'll give it a shot with the belly. :)

The dog poop bag holders have been the best way to utilize the bellies, for me anyways. people were asking about them anyway so it just happened to work out well. The other uses for bellies (i.e. liners and embellishments) that I mentioned don't really use up that much leather, in comparison to bag holders.

It's funny that King X should mention product tags b/c I've been thinking about using the bellies for that as well, as soon as I have a maker stamp made. I was also thinking of using the bellies to make price tags, but I'd need to have a dollar sign stamp made as well. I'm always trying to find uses for scrap leather and bellies, even if it isn't for something that I can actually sell.

Good luck with your bellies and post back with your poop bag holders, I'd be interested in what you came up with. My poop bag holders look very similar (in design) to the tool bags that Brooks Saddles make that hang off the back of their bike seats / saddles.

@Mijo....I just stamp my maker's mark and lace it to the project before I ship it out. It is a nice touch to keep everything leather.

I have seen someone use them as tags, here:

- http://sphotos-b.xx....525942158_n.jpg

- http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/424000_264377296969838_1303132915_n.jpg

At least, I'm going to assume they're using the bellies for that lol

The dog poop bag holders have been the best way to utilize the bellies, for me anyways. people were asking about them anyway so it just happened to work out well. The other uses for bellies (i.e. liners and embellishments) that I mentioned don't really use up that much leather, in comparison to bag holders.

It's funny that King X should mention product tags b/c I've been thinking about using the bellies for that as well, as soon as I have a maker stamp made. I was also thinking of using the bellies to make price tags, but I'd need to have a dollar sign stamp made as well. I'm always trying to find uses for scrap leather and bellies, even if it isn't for something that I can actually sell.

Good luck with your bellies and post back with your poop bag holders, I'd be interested in what you came up with. My poop bag holders look very similar (in design) to the tool bags that Brooks Saddles make that hang off the back of their bike seats / saddles.

I definitely will! We're going to try to do it without stitching. Should be fun, lol

Your looks great! I checed them out on your website.

@Mijo....I just stamp my maker's mark and lace it to the project before I ship it out. It is a nice touch to keep everything leather.

I agree. Plus, if you slide a keyring in there, then people have a nice little keychain. ;)

Thanks guys! ~

Edited by sangmort