Blakebcg

I'm Going To Apologize In Advance

...Because I'm sure this is asked every single day. I want to try leatherworking out. I may or may not like it, but I figure why not. I'd love to learn how to make watch straps.

See, I dont know a single thing about leather. I dont know what tools I need or where to even start learning. I remember I learned how to use Photoshop from psdtuts.com. It's a website with nothing but photoshop tutorials, tips, and advice. I wish there was like, leathertuts.com. What resources did you guys use to learn? What was the first thing you attempted to make? I think I might start with a dog collar or something simple..

I would go to the local Tandy leather Factory and check out their free weekly classes. If your local store doesn't have any classes.....go to a local leather store and ask if you can just stalk them and see what leathercraft is all about because you are interested. That is how I started.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

...Because I'm sure this is asked every single day. I want to try leatherworking out. I may or may not like it, but I figure why not. I'd love to learn how to make watch straps.

See, I dont know a single thing about leather. I dont know what tools I need or where to even start learning. I remember I learned how to use Photoshop from psdtuts.com. It's a website with nothing but photoshop tutorials, tips, and advice. I wish there was like, leathertuts.com. What resources did you guys use to learn? What was the first thing you attempted to make? I think I might start with a dog collar or something simple..

Go to Tandy's site, check out the videos they have on there. The basics are there for free. If you have questions after that, This is the venue for them. Here you will be exposed to true artists in the craft who love to share. If there is not a TLF near you , Hobby Lobby, Michaels, even Ace Hardware has basic tools and project kits.

Caution!!!! This can result in addiction! :nuke:

Welcome, and good luck!

:red_bandana:

Edited by groovytech

I wish there was like, leathertuts.com. What resources did you guys use to learn?

Have you heard of the site called Leatherworker.net??? ;)

Seriously though, there are TONS of tutorials here, many of them stickied to the top of each sub-forum. If you don't find it here or on the Tandy videos list, then there are lots of people here to point you in the right direction. There's also kingsmerecrafts.com for a lot of pictorials. Since you're looking at collars, I would expand any search terms to belts, since they're essentially the same thing.

Right now I'm watching the Tandy tutorials. Are there any sort of "tool kits" you can buy for leather working? Like an automotive tool kit, except for leather tools. I'm not sure what I'd go buy if I had to get everything individually. I wouldn't spend more than $200. The closest leather store is Tandy and it's an hour and a half away, so I'd want to know what I'm getting before heading over there. I could also just order online..

Edited by Blakebcg

Right now I'm watching the Tandy tutorials. Are there any sort of "tool kits" you can buy for leather working? Like an automotive tool kit, except for leather tools. I'm not sure what I'd go buy if I had to get everything individually. I wouldn't spend more than $200. The closest leather store is Tandy and it's an hour and a half away, so I'd want to know what I'm getting before heading over there. I could also just order online..

They have a couple of "Basic" kits that will get you started. Comes with 6 stamps, swivel knife, a few projects with dvd instructions, and dye (water based - not so good stuff, but they'll get your feet wet). There are a couple of different levels of the kit. I think the basic kit is pretty standard and the deluxe kit will get you some better tools (both of these are from Tandy). But, keep in mind that the tools and leather available in them are sub-par, but they'll get you started. If nothing else, you can look at what's there and build your own set. I will say that the deluxe kit comes with a poly mallet vs. the wooden one in the basic kit. But, those will get you going and you can build up from there. We get a lot of people here who want to just go buy everything they'll even need right from the beginning and that's just really unnecessary. Get started and then get what you need as you realize you need it. I'll bet you that half the people on this forum started with some form of one of these kits.

Looks like the basic starter kit is on sale for $40 right now, deluxe is currently $80

Edited by Cyberthrasher

Going to Tandy this weekend to buy the deluxe kit. I cant decide if I want to buy leather or just salvage leather from belts or things.. I'll ask a few people there what they think

The good thing about the Tandy kits is they have the holes punched in the projects already. I would also get the book about stitching and lacing. The holes in the Tandy kits are really too big but it is good practice because when you screw up stitching you can undo them easier and start over. Another thing is make a cardboard pattern of them before you start and then you can copy that pattern onto leather and do them again. Good luck

David

Going to Tandy this weekend to buy the deluxe kit. I cant decide if I want to buy leather or just salvage leather from belts or things.. I'll ask a few people there what they think

Unless the belts are unfinished veg-tan, that's not going to serve you well. Since you're going to Tandy anyway, grab some bags of scrap while you're there. It's cheap and it will last you a while for small projects and practice work.

Edited by Cyberthrasher