nGIN40

Hello From Southern Nj

Hi My name is Manny. I recently started looking into working with leather to make belts, guitar Straps, and Radio straps. At first I was just toying with the idea but as I began to research I have been hooked. Looking at some of the pieces created has moved me to want to know this craft better. I have spent most of my free time these last 10 days by watching video's and reading everything I can. I read some of the topics on this forum and have found some very very usefull information. I'm going to take the plunge soon and buy some things I need to get started. I have read numerous times to only purchase what you need to accomplish your Project. I'm going to start making belts very soon. My question is I'm not really sure what grade of leather to go with when it comes to this I'm unsure of sizes. I don't want to order pre-cut straps cause I feel like thats cheating any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Manny!

There's nothing wrong with ordering pre-cut straps. Even if you buy a kit to start off it will help you understand procedures. I started off with small kits and learned from there. I watched lots of videos and learned from some of the best on this site. One thing I can point out is learn the RIGHT WAY to do it first and if you see a better way change it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the craft!

Welcome to Leatherworker.net!

I absolutely agree with the above post. Go ahead and order some blanks for your first belts. It is the most effective way to get the right sizes without investing a decent amount of money in tools you won't use for much else. If you insist on getting a side or double shoulder (the sizes you'll need to get decent belt lengths), look for at least 8oz leather, veg tanned. After that, you'll need a strap cutter or a large table and cutting board....and a very long straight edge...and an extremely sharp knife. That's just to get the straps. You'll also need an edger, a slicker, a burnishing cloth, dye, antiquing medium, wax (edges), top coat/sealer, conditioner, hole punches, any stamping/carving tools you intend to use, and hardware. As you can see, you've got a pretty decent list of tools to get. Starting with precut blanks will save you some time and frustration...(How the HHH did I get this end of the strap 1/4" narrower than the other?!?!? #$%^@$#%!!!!!!!!!)....and I assure you, it's possible when you start cutting long strips.

Spend the first few belts working on technique of tooling the belt, layout, and assembly. This will also give you a good reference for how to skive the belt for a buckle, and the correct spacing/location for the keeper, and other hardware.

Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'll start with a few pre-cut straps and go from there. Are there any books either of you would reccomend? I was thinking of getting Belts Galore by Al Stohlman? What books would you reccomend for coloring and staining? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!