Sign in to follow this  
mattsh

Edge finish for stingray

Looking for the sharing of wisdom here. I just finished a knife sheath for a cold steel bushman. I made the main body of the sheath with stingray backed with 8-9oz cow. The sheath turned out ok. I am just not sure if there is anything different I could have done for the edges. This was a typical wrap type sheath with the fold on the spine of the blade and the sewn edge being on the belly of the knife. I drilled the holes for the stitching [what a pain] and waxed finished the edges. Everything turned out ok, but I am really wondering what can be done about the sewn edge of the stingray, the sharp edge and fact that the "scales" want to try to flake off if they are partially cut really bothers me. I cannot believe that those that make holsters and use stingray on the trim pieces leave that sharp edge. Is there anything that all of you have learned in working with this stuff on how to give the edge a better feel [so to speak]?

Thanks.

Matt,

I am no expert on this, and didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night. I done exactly one thing with an exposed edge of stingray. It is sharp enough to cut you easily. I sanded the edges down with a dremel going to the fine sanding drum until it felt good. Then I used a paint-on edge coat. Not sure if it was DYO or Feibings. I talked to Jerry VanAmburg later. He uses a lot of it on bracelets, and was doing essentially the same thing then. I usually try to just inlay it. I did see a sheath done with it, and that guy had sewn a binding strip over that raw edge. It didn't look out of place to me.

When I use stingray on the holsters I make, I do the exact same thing as Bruce does. And when I sew stingray with a machine I sew it from the back side, that way I don't break off the tips of my needles.

Best,

Rhome