Oh my god shoot me now, I finally finished this Christmas present.

It is far from perfect, but a good learning experience so next one can be better. My wife has a HUGE PC laptop that does not fit any store bought computer bag. So stupidly I decided to make one.

In late November I purchased a gorgeous oil tanned red/burgundy colored leather from a small local supplier...they laid some out and let me fondle through some hides before purchasing. It is lovely soft stuff, but you cannot burnish the edges and every mark shows up. Still I love it.

I made a paper pattern and sized things up. The internal guts are a layer of foam tightly wrapped with fabric and then covered with pigskin. This was done to hold the laptop in tightly and cushion it. When the computer dies I will take out the rivets and remove the lining so it can be used as a normal bag.

Would like to hear what you think and what you see; I have some things I will do differently next time. The only machine I used was a hand press for some rivets.

post-23986-0-62297600-1358720113_thumb.j

post-23986-0-04122800-1358720300_thumb.j

post-23986-0-56799000-1358720342_thumb.j

post-23986-0-66548600-1358720386_thumb.j

post-23986-0-25253300-1358720429_thumb.j

post-23986-0-97365600-1358724670_thumb.j

Edited by WScott

Good thing you planned ahead, because it's going to outlast that laptop by at least a decade or two. :showoff: Love the leather you chose for it, and it looks like it's going to do an excellent job of protecting that computer.

I hope it lasts, it took me long enough to formulate the idea and make the darn thing!

Thanks for looking and your kind comments; you are right about the leather, the hide is/was absolutely gorgeous