Sign in to follow this  
3CDesign

Nakajima 280L Vs Yamata Fy5318 Japan Vs China

Hello again folks. I'm looking to upgrade from my old school Kenmore 52 "home" machine. I was lucky enough to find a sewing machine store within walking distance from my house. On my last trip there I found.....

An old Nakajima 280L "Used" for $800.00 the machine has a brand new 3/4hp servo motor and table.

And a new Yamata FY5318 with the same motor/table setup, this machine is $900.00.

The owner says that both machines have the same "punching" power and are similar, except the Nakajima has a higher foot lift. I believe that they both are triple feed machines? I will be using the machine for canvas, cordura, webbing, bindings, with some leather work in the future. My G.F. wants me to assure her that this machine will fill all my needs, and won't need to be replaced as my small bag company grows. I'd tend to lean towards the 280L for the higher lift and Japanese build quality, the price is also a bonus.

I have seen cheaper machines on C.L. for lower but I'd rather buy from a repair/dealer in my neighborhood who can drop the machine off at my door!

What do you think?

Thanks, Tony

www.mustacheandmohawk.com

A few of my bags

post-33532-0-24941200-1358826444_thumb.j

Edited by 3CDesign

I have very little experience with anything besides my Nakajima 280L so that is all I will comment on.

I purchased my Nakajima 280L about a year and a half ago and I am quite happy with it's performance. It still punches through 20+ ounces of Vegtan and Latigo leather with ease. The only problem I had was that the (feed Dog?) would leave marks on the bottom of the leather. You can buy smooth feed dogs to eliminate this problem, but I was in a hurry so I simply removed the feed dog, filled in the grooves with a small amount (Pea sized) of JB weld then lightly sanding it smooth. I ordered another feed dog in case I needed to switch back but so far have never needed to and the system is running like a champ. From my understanding, the 280 was built like a tank and my experience supports that. I have purchased other feet and accessories for it and they are easy to find.

The only quirk is that it does require hand oiling as it does not auto lubricate but that takes less then a minute and I only do it at the start of the day. And even that may be more often then is needed.

At the time I purchased it I could find no negative information about it and those reports I did find gave it good to great reviews. My original post on it can be found here as well as a link to a manual.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32863&hl=+nakajima%20+280l#entry204504

As for the Yamata I have never used one so I can not say anything good or bad about it.

I have a 280L that does have a self oiler. I like it, it is the same machine as a Juki 241, It will sew an honest 3/8"+ of soft leather. I use other machines with veg tan.

You can buff the feed dogs if they are marking the bottom badly. It needs the bottom dogs to be a compound fee though. Good machine. I like mine. HTH