Is there any type of waterproof sealer that has a matte finish?

I have been stamping tooling leather, then using EcoFlo HiLite stain, which gives me the look I want......but then what can I finish it with. I tried the EcoFlo Super Shene and it was too glossy, so then I tried the EcoFlo Satin Shene......the problem with these is that when applying with a dauber, the stain starts to smear. I tried the EcoFlo Carnauba Creme, which gave me the look and feel that I wanted, but when you wipe it with a wet paper towel, it comes right off with the stain......so obviously it isn't waterproof. And then I tried SaddleLac, which works very well to seal it, but it ends up looking and feeling like plastic.

Any advice would be appreciated.

post-16724-0-21412800-1359308496_thumb.j

post-16724-0-47534700-1359308531_thumb.j

Almost anything is going to pull your dye up when you wipe it on. I've found that if I buff like crazy to get as much dye off first then VERY GENTLY wipe a light coat of my finish over with a rag (I use blue shop towels) then it doesn't go so bad. But, whenever possibly I spray the first coat with an airbrush. I haven't used SaddleLac at all, but I know ClearLac/NeatLac really needs to be thinned and put on in light coats, which will keep it from looking like plastic and possibly cracking in the future.

I primarily use Resolene, which is "water resistant" (I don't believe anybody who says their product is water PROOF). When I apply it, it's always thinned 50/50 with water in a few lighter coats. You can thin it a little bit more to adjust how much gloss you get, but I find 50/50 is a good mix.

Thanks Cyber.....I was in my local Tandy store and asked them about both NeatLac and Resolene and they told me that both would be glossy, so I didn't buy either. They did suggest applying (without buffing) EcoFlo Conditioning Creme and that might tone down the gloss......so I plan to try that tomorrow.

The SaddleLac works well (water beads on it) and since it is sprayed on, there is no smearing.......but it smells pretty badly.

Thanks Cyber.....I was in my local Tandy store and asked them about both NeatLac and Resolene and they told me that both would be glossy, so I didn't buy either.

Any of the high-gloss stuff will look more and more satin the more you thin it. I hate that plastic look, but I like the mellow gloss I get with 50/50 resolene. There are examples of it in most of my work here and on my facebook page. It's the main thing I use on my guitar straps and wallets.

I use Angelus Matte Acryllic Finisher. If you wipe it on it will get a very small slight shine to it, if you airbrush it on it gets totally matte.

With Saddle Lac, spray it from further away, and in much lighter coats. Almost like you're misting it. It will leave more texture than a thicker coat, and that texture breaks up light more, resulting in less shine. And make darn sure you keep that spray nozzle clean, because once it gets gummed up, it'll start spitting large drops of product, which will almost instantly discolor Fiebing's oil dye, permanently.

I have been using the Angelus Satin acrylic finisher sprayed with an airbrush and it does very well for me, i don't like the very shiny look of others I've tried. I usually spray 2 light coats. I don't think it will be waterproof though. Here's a picture of a holster with the Angelus Satin.

post-13533-0-78054200-1359513372_thumb.j