Steve Musgrave

Another New Guy

Hello all! I've been lurking around these boards for a while now trying to learn the basics so I wouldn't be that new guy. That said, I was hoping you'd be willing to check my homework as it were.

Note: Right now I'm mainly interested in the construction part of "historical reenactment" leather work. I have limited interest in carving right now especially since I want to get the basics down pat first.

Here's the shopping list I've put together through my studies:

Books I Have

Leatherwork Manual by Al Stohlman

The Art of Making Leather Cases by Al Stohlman

The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman

Basic Tool Shopping List

(I already have a cutting mat, x-acto knife, and a utility knife.)

Awl

Overstitcher Set

Adjustable Creaser

Plastic Bone Folder (Would I be better off springing for a leather burnisher for my Dremel from the LaBarres? I've read good things about them.)

Edge Beveler (#2 to start)

Adjustable Stitching Groover

Mallet

3/16" Eyelet Setter w/Anvil

Line 24 Snap Setter

Rivet Setter

Rivet & Snap Anvil

Harness Needle "00" (2pk)

Material Shopping List:

Linen Waxed Thread

Bees Wax

Saddle Soap

Dyes, Paints, & Finishes: This is where I get confused. There are so many options and so many personal preferences out there that I've gone all paranoid. I've gathered a few pictures of dyes (?) and finishes that I like and I was hoping you all would be able to point me in a direction from there. The pic is attached below.

Other Things I've Come Across

Tandy can be expensive and iffy.

Springfield Leather Co. is a safe bet.

Poor quality leather = poor quality products.

Dipping leather to dye things gives you a quality coating (still reading about this one).

Okay, that's enough rambling out of me. If anyone could give me some pointers on my homework I'd really appreciate it. This seems like a great community and I hope to become a benefit to it. Thanks everyone!

post-37847-0-97679900-1360200588_thumb.j

Welcome aboard, looks like you are already producing some very nice projects. Great looking work.

Chief

Welcome aboard, looks like you are already producing some very nice projects. Great looking work.

Chief

Thanks but those aren't my projects! Just examples of finishes and stains that I like but I'm unsure of how to create. :)

Thanks but those aren't my projects! Just examples of finishes and stains that I like but I'm unsure of how to create. :)

My bad, ok, great aspirations then. You'll be making projects like that sooner than you think.

Chief

Homework looks good. Time to jump in and do :)

You can only learn so much by reading, but I like the fact that you did.

For the bone folder, you'll probably want both the bone folder and the burnishers (from my experience). The bone folder will help for quick little things or getting into places that the dremel won't fit, and it will also help you for when you eventually decide you need to wet mold something :). I actually grabbed mine from the local fabric store. It's Fiskars brand and works well.

For the dye, I'd recommend Fiebings Pro Oil (as do many people here), especially since it looks like you're probably going to stick to "earth" tones. They'll give you good color and good penetration into the leather. For a finish, there are a lot of choices that you may want to experiment with, but Resolene is easy to use. You may want to move past the utility knife at some point, especially for heavier leathers, but it will get you started. Also, all blades will need to be stropped, so get yourself some green stropping compound so you'll be set.

I don't want to sound like the "new guy" either but what is green stroping compound and where can I get it?

I don't want to sound like the "new guy" either but what is green stroping compound and where can I get it?

just to make sure, familiarize yourself with this article in the "How do I do that" section to make sure you know how to make a strop.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=36221

Now, under the Leather Tools forum, there's another pinned topic all about stropping compound

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33539

You can get it lots of places. I'd check your local hardware store first and then head online if you can't find it. This is just a link that shows a good picture of what it is.

http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2004240/8619/GREEN-CHROME-OXIDE-COMPOUND-6-OZ.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CLbWx97MpLUCFYl_QgoddSwASg

Thanks I read all the links. I really do appreciate it. Going to check a couple of local hardware stores tonight.

Homework looks good. Time to jump in and do :)

You can only learn so much by reading, but I like the fact that you did.

For the bone folder, you'll probably want both the bone folder and the burnishers (from my experience). The bone folder will help for quick little things or getting into places that the dremel won't fit, and it will also help you for when you eventually decide you need to wet mold something :). I actually grabbed mine from the local fabric store. It's Fiskars brand and works well.

For the dye, I'd recommend Fiebings Pro Oil (as do many people here), especially since it looks like you're probably going to stick to "earth" tones. They'll give you good color and good penetration into the leather. For a finish, there are a lot of choices that you may want to experiment with, but Resolene is easy to use. You may want to move past the utility knife at some point, especially for heavier leathers, but it will get you started. Also, all blades will need to be stropped, so get yourself some green stropping compound so you'll be set.

Thank you, sir! I broke down and ordered a majority of my tools today. Time to start constructing my patterns and getting to work!

Hi Steve, lurking awhile too and just trying to figure all the who,what, where etc.... Would you be willing to off up an idea on where you ordered your stuff and some sort of cost idea? I'm really thinking of just pulling the trigger and buying a bunch of tools, dyes etc just to experiment with to learn. Been watching ebay and craigslist but seems like a tough way to piece enough together to et started. Thnks for any tips etc!

Bufordp

I also am very new at this, after reading and at the suggestion of some on this forum I ordered some basic tool's and leather from springfield leather here is a link to their website http://springfieldleather.com/ The staff is extremely helpful. Give them a call they'll be happy to help you out. In my experience I found that they were very patient to answer my questions. Hope this helps

Manny

Bufordp

I also am very new at this, after reading and at the suggestion of some on this forum I ordered some basic tool's and leather from springfield leather here is a link to their website http://springfieldleather.com/ The staff is extremely helpful. Give them a call they'll be happy to help you out. In my experience I found that they were very patient to answer my questions. Hope this helps

Manny

Springfield is a top notch company for sure!! If you plan on doing leatherwork for any length of time, I suggest their wholesale membership. You pretty much get all of Tandy's elite pricing for a fraction of the cost and it pays for itself within the first order or two.

go to the special purchase section at SLC and click on the leather catigory there are really great deals on leather.

as far as getting a discount on tools you can get some really good deals on e bay and amazon and the classified section here

Hawkes Leather on e bay has a lot of good deals, I bought an ergo swivel knife for 27 bucks shipped

i believe tandy sells them for 39.95

amazon has a round knife for $6.20 + $1.75 shipping

I also buy tools from Osbourne