SMSRods

Split Strap End For Webbing

Hello,

I am trying to split the end of a strap about 3/4" deep to stitch a length of webbing between the two layers of leather. I've done a few by hand with a razor blade, I was hoping someone might have a suggestion to make this a bit easier.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish.

braces3.jpg

Regards,

Scott Sheets

I have an indirect answer. I would use two pieces of thin leather and glue them flesh to flesh side. Sew around them. You will have two finished sides this way.

+1 on that idea. Gives you a professional look to the strap end.

I'd do this too. If for some reason I would choose to split it that way I'd run it through my crank splitter an inch or so and back it back out. If that's not a possibility I'd use a round knife but you'd have to be careful because you'll pretty much have to cut right towards your hand.

I have an indirect answer. I would use two pieces of thin leather and glue them flesh to flesh side. Sew around them. You will have two finished sides this way.

Edited by billymac814

Again... Two pieces of leather, but don't forget to taper and glue the end of the webbing so you don't get any fluff sticking out of the sides.

Nige

Thank you for the suggestion. Two layers does sound much better. Any suggestion on the minimum oz. leather I can get away with? These are for suspenders, will I need to stitch around the buttonhole as well?