Rubederubes

Adler 205-370

I am looking to buy an Adler 205.

I only have the space and funds for one machine so need it to be able to sew bags, purses, chaps and possibly some saddlery items.

As its a heavy duty machine, capable of sewing thick leather, will it work as well on thin leather and sewing leather to fabric?

I don't want to make a costly wrong decision so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi

The Adler 205 is a very well built machine and an excellent choice for Saddlery you will find loads of Saddlers in Walsall using them usually 205-64s though, alas no good for the light stuff. As far as bags go you could make things like satchels or brief cases but something like a Adler 69 or Pfaff 335 would be better and you could do some Saddlery they will go up to about 7mm and bridle weight leather is 3.5 to 4mm and would do the light stuff. These would do lot more of what you want to do than the 205 and cost half the price I wouldn’t advise running them at full rated speed though on the heavier stuff.

I would strongly suggest you consider one of the 441 clones. Most all are great machines for a lot less money. The accessories are less also.

ferg

For the cost of the big Adler, you could buy both a 441 clone AND a medium duty machine like an 206 RB5, Cobra Class 18 or the like.

Art

Thanks for your replies.

I would be buying a used machine. I have found a 205 for £1350, which I feel is good value as its hardly been used and is only 3 years old.

I can't get 2 machines as I don't have the space unfortunately.

Would the 441 do the same work as the. 205? How much are they new as I can find any used ones in the UK?

What would be the consequences of using 205 on the lighter leathers?

An Adler 205 that’s been little used is worth a lot more and age is no measure, Juki 441 is the same class and same feed mechanism as the 205-370 with a longer arm and will go a little heavier. You’ll be hard pressed to find a second hand Juki 441 over here Adler’s are a lot more popular these are heavy machines for heavy weight materials with heavy thread and high tensions and will make a pigs ear of the lighter stuff. But if the 205 is genuine and little used it’s steal at that price so you can’t lose so find out yourself then sell it make yourself a few bob and buy something like an Adler 69 which will do what you are wanting to do. Be careful the Adler could be a Chinese knock off and worth about a third of the price and about an eighth as good if it is its worth about £1000 personally I won’t touch them they are no better than the rest of the garbage made in China.

Thanks again for your help.

I think the 205 may be too heavy duty for me and I am now worried it may be from China too?! How would you tell? It has a United label on it.

I currently have a Singer 45k58 which is too heavy and I need to get the right machine this time!

I have found an Adler 69-562. How much should I expect to pay for a used one? How much are they new? Maybe I should try to buy new so I have some dealer support, as I have no idea!!!

Hello: I think some of these people are handing out misinformation to you' I've had three 205's and I sew everything from skirting leather to light weight leather for pocket planners and billfolds. The needle sizes range from 120 to 230 and the needles are changed for the appropriate job. Tackman.

Adler’s are a better build and steel than the Chinese copy’s you could also check the serial number with Derkopp Adler, I googled united and there is a US machine dealer with that name that sells Adler’s but the machine is very cheap the last good 205 I saw was £1000 more than that price. The 45k is in the same weight class as the 205, the only difference is that the 205 has a better feed mechanism so gives more uniform stitch length and it’s a cylinder bed apart from that will do the same thing the old Singers are also very well made. The price of a machine depends on make and condition, and Im not that familiar with the lighter class of machines as I am with the heavy.

I agree with Les No6 on this matter. I have both big Adler's 105, Adler 204 and the 441 clone along with machines of lighter duty rating. Despise what the dealers will tell you; the heavy stitcher's are no good on light stuff. Machine of the upholstery class will work much better on what you want to sew, from fabric up to 11 to 12 mm leather. However, not with very thick thread. Most stops at tex 207/138 in bobbin, a few does tex 270. Look for a Adler 269 or similar it has a bit thicker arm than the 335 or the 69. It also have a larger vertical hook that can hold more/thicker thread. It is a preferred machine among European bag makers. I use a similar Pfaff 345 for those same jobs, I use it with threads from tex 69 to 180. With any thicker threads I use my 441 or heavy Adler's.

Tor

If you're going to pull the trigger, the Adler 867 (get a German one) with an Efka positioning motor is the way I'd go.

Art

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me.

I shall look out for a more medium duty machine. Either the Adler 269 or 69.

Thanks again!

Quote.....Despise what the dealers will tell you; the heavy stitcher's are no good on light stuff.

Trox i disagree with you on that. here are a couple of pictures i took tonight of some pieces i sewed on my Pro 2000 with 277 on top and 207 on the bottom. No tension adjustment. The pink is 3 ounce folded once the other is 4 pieces of 12 ounce. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/dirtclod50/stuff%20i%20made/1FRONT.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/dirtclod50/stuff%20i%20made/1BACK.jpg

Quote.....Despise what the dealers will tell you; the heavy stitcher's are no good on light stuff.

Trox i disagree with you on that. here are a couple of pictures i took tonight of some pieces i sewed on my Pro 2000 with 277 on top and 207 on the bottom. No tension adjustment. The pink is 3 ounce folded once the other is 4 pieces of 12 ounce. http://img.photobuck...de/1FRONT.jpg http://img.photobuck... made/1BACK.jpg

Hi, nice stitches. I classify this work as heavy, remember very few machines of the upholstery class can sew with more than tex 207/138. I use my 441 with threads like that too. I use my upholstery class machines with threads from tkt 40 to 15 (tex 69 to 207), any thicker I use my 441 or heavy Adler's. I think we agree on this anyway. :spoton:

Thanks

Tor

Rubederubes,

You are right, the 867 is the latest flatbed triple feed of the upholstery class. Arm machines ends on 69, the 69 is a horizontal hook small arm that will not take heavy threads, the 269 has a vertical hook with more capacity. New machines today is 669 horizontal hook and 869 vertical hook. I do not know what you budget is, these machines are pretty expensive new. All is of the upholstery class, the 869 will sew with threads up to tkt 10/3 (tex 270). The 669 will sew with threads up too tkt 15/3 (tex 207). Both machines has feed dog that can be deactivated with a few steps and can be used for binding operations, this is a new feature you do not see on many other machines.

Thanks

Tor

After some more research I have come across the Highlead GC2698 (£1295 plus Vat) and the Global and Wimsew equivalents. They are much cheaper than the new Adlers and I would have the reassurance of buying a new machine. I would be really grateful for your opinions on them please?

Thanks again

The Highlead GC2698 and Durkopp 69 will handle similar weight work and are probably more medium weight machines. There are a lot of copies about so make sure which ever you buy, that it is genuine and has a warranty from the makers.

It is a good cylinder arm machine. There are two versions, the -1 has a smaller bobbin and the -1B has a big bobbin. Medium Duty, 3/8" or less total. Highlead machines are very good.

Art

Highlead GC2698 and Global WF9335 are Chinese copies of the Pfaff 335 the Highlead GC2268 and Global WF970 are Seiko LCW8B copies same size of machine but takes a heavier needle there’s no difference between Highlead and Global just a different paint job. And parts are interchangeable between the copies and originals. One other point is that the machines will have quite aggressive teeth on the feet and bottom needle guide (feed dog as some refer) these will mark your leather they serve no actual purpose, so mention when you buy that you want a smooth feed set for leather, this should be no problem, but if it is and you go for the 335 copy Pfaff do a leather feed set which will fit but you can just grind the teeth of the feet the bottom needle guide just fill in the teeth with metal epoxy but make sure it doesn’t void your warranty.

Thank you for all your help in narrowing down a machine. I am now the proud owner of a new Tysew Mark 5! I thoroughly tried it and it was perfect on all my leather samples, easy to adjust tension etc and was just perfect for my needs, plus I get a years guarantee and any technical help I need.

Does anyone know which machine this is a copy of? Just would help for parts etc.

Thanks again!

Looks a lot like the new Mitsubishi made by Highlead. Looks a little like the LS-1130 but I can't be sure. I think Industrial in the UK imports them, you can get parts there and ask them what the base machine design is.

Art

Hi, I know this is now an old post but hoping you can give me some information regarding the tysew mark 5 machine you bought. How did it work for you? I'm looking at the tysew mark 5 cylinder arm for making handbags and came across your post x