Thorpe

Dumb Question

Im trying to hand sew some leather... I wont be using a sewing awl despite the fact that I own one. I prefer doing things by hand...eh' I cant explain it. so I'm looking for a tutorial or some answer or a name or anything on how to do the following stitch shown below. DeadOak_all_by_freakeaux.jpgI really appreciate any response, I have a project I'm trying to get completed here in the next few weeks....this stitch would make it perfect

its a mexican round braid...with most likely roo lace...heres a link to a tutorial...practice ;0)

http://www.btinternet.com/~kingsmerecrafts/page100.html

you'll need to punch or drill holes...a dremel works well...same size as lace and same distance apart...

darryl

Edited by sodapop

soda is right. That Mexican round braid is beautiful, but be prepared because it takes 10 times the perimeter length in lace, and is a pain in the butt to complete. It's simple, but time consuming.

Marlon.

Of particular note, learn to splice in a new piece of lace. Beaverslayer once advised me to use shorter pieces of lace-say 3-4 feet max- instead of one long continuous piece. There's a few reasons for this. First, you'll spend an enormous amount of time trying to pull all that lace through every time. The other is that since most lace has a glossy side, that finished side will take a lot of abuse making all the trips through the lacing holes. You'd end up with pretty lace at the beginning of the run, but dull looking at the end. You can also run the lace across some beeswax to help lube it for the repetitive pulls. For your lacing holes, width of the lace should also be your spacing between the holes. Make sure your leather edges are well rounded and slicked down, as this will really help the lace lay down nicely.